 CAD / Development / 9284
Re: TrackDraw number formats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Guido Heunen wrote:
However, since the trackdraw files will possibly be shared with others, I
would say that the decimal dot should be the standard.

TrackDraw is a little different from most programs in that its file formats can
be authored in different languages. Every file has a language attribute, and a
schema that acts as a dictionary to define the appropriate words in the
language.

So if the language is set to "en-US" (American English), then an attribute might
be expressed like this:
  distance="12.345"
but if it is set to "de-DE" (German in Germany) the same attribute would be:
  Abstand="12,345"

Files authored in English can be read by someone with a German PC, and vice
versa, so there's no reason to choose one or the other as a standard.

I can't imagine an American wanting this:
  distance="12,345"
So my question really is, would a German ever want this?
  Abstand="12.345"

Although used to be aware this could be twelve point something as most germans
are often exposed to english text formats . . . writing this on a cheque would
definitly be read as twelve thousand threehundred and forty five. The point is
used to sort the thousands in germany. Two million Euro and ten Cents would be
written 2.000.000,10 Eur.

But as most file formats on computers are in english, code or script not text or
spreadsheets, this is a problem most are aware of. My Grandma was of course
greatly confused by this, but she never did write any programs.

Cary
who apologizes a head of time if 'Abstand' is a silly translation of 'distance'.
http://www.trackdraw.com