 CAD / Development / 9044
Re: PARTS.LST searching. (Was: Re: Part Fix 3959 Space Gun)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:48 GMT

lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
<snip>
Is there a maximum line length for part files?
Mklist.c seems to allow 200 characters per line right now.  What about
LEDIT?

The PT currently limits you to, I think, 64 characters in the part
name.  I don't know wht this limit is imposed.  I just test LEDIT
with a long name and it didn't care.

Actually, I looked a bit further in the mklist.c code and it will
READ up to 200 chars of part description, but then it truncates down
to 64 chars before writing the part file.  Apparently this is to be
compatible with the old MAKELIST.EXE and not necessarily LEDIT.
However the old MAKELIST.EXE program had other limitations that we've
already worked around by creating a new mklist.exe executable.  So
is this 64 char limitation really needed?  If for some reason we
must use a name like "Bar 1.5L with Handle and Female Stud" for the
space gun part, I'd like to be able to generate a PARTS.LST file with
useful information in it like this so I can find it:

3959.DAT     Bar 1.5L with Handle and Female Stud   KEYWORDS bar, rod, round, blaster, gun, tool, scanner, lamp, light, laser, torch, Space, Castle, Pirates

Or should I just abandon PARTS.LST and mklist.c and create my own keyword
search file format?

Don

PS.  Orion, I think I have your LDDP plugins working in ldglite.
I haven't made an official release in a long time, but I put an
executable here if you want to see if I did it right.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/ldgliteexe0_9_8plugtest.zip

Really brief instructions are here.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/changelog.html