 CAD / Development / 10821
10820  |  10822
Subject:
Using LDraw (and LeoCAD, LDGLite, LDView) on 64 bit Linux?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 18:42:44 GMT

I'm just starting out with LDraw and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get
anything running under my 64 bit Ubuntu 7.10 system.

I'm mostly interested in LeoCAD, since it is the only native Linux building
system that I know of.  Since there are no packages available I tried building
it from source but no luck. Since I'm not a coder I don't know if this is
because it doesn't work on x64 or because of some other problem. I've filed a
bug report for LeoCAD but haven't heard anything yet.

I tried building LDGLite as well, same situation. It failed, but I'm not
knowledgeable enough to say why.

LDView at least mentioned 64 bit systems on its web page, unfortunately it was
to say that it probably won't work. I tried building it anyway with little luck.

I've gotten MLCAD to work in Wine, so at least that's something, but it just
seems wrong that a Windows program is the best Linux has to offer. Especially in
this day and age, when x64's been out for over five years and Linux is becoming
more widespread by the day.

So, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for using LDraw under a
64 bit Linux system? Google wasn't much help. I haven't tried a 32 bit chroot,
but I'm not sure how well that works for OpenGL apps like LeoCAD and LDGLite.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim