 CAD / Development / 10728
Re: Any LDView users with quad-core machine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:31:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Hi Travis,

  Congratulations on getting SMP working in LDView.

Thanks.

  If you can run on Solaris, I have an 8 core with 8 hardware thread box in my
office I could try things on.  Maybe  you'll only use 32 given the above
algorithm.

Yowza!  In theory it will run on Solaris as long as QT 3.3 is installed, but I'm
not sure if anyone has tried that.  Note also that it would have to be a 32 bit
compile, which may or may not be easy on Solaris.  The current source also needs
libjpg, libpng, and boost to be installed in order to build.  If you want to try
building it, or can give me a user account to do it myself, it would certainly
be cool.

On your box, it would in theory use 34 total threads (1 foreground thread, 32
background threads for conditionals, and 1 background thread for sorting).
Having said that, the sorting generally takes very little time, so it wouldn't
be very apparent that that thread was using a processor.  Also, unless you have
a heinously fast graphics card (probably faster than any in existence), the
conditional calculations aren't going to keep 32 cores busy for the time it
takes to draw the rest of the model.  My dual-core Athlon can basically get the
conditionals calculated in the background fast enough that performance with and
without conditionals is very similar.  That means that I'm being limited by my
video card (an nVidia 7800GT).

Also, while I believe my code that detects the number of available processors
will work on a Solaris box, it of course hasn't been tested there.  (I use
sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN) if _SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN is defined, and
sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) if _SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF is defined but
_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN isn't defined or the other sysconf returns -1.  (The first
is the number of processors online; the second is the number of processors on
the machine.)  I don't know if these would return 8 or 64, though.

  I have access to a two processor chip machine with 2x8x8 strands that I might
be able to boot Solaris on.

What does that machine have on it?  The 8-core 8-thread processors are Sparcs,
right?

--Travis

Hi Travis,

  Qt 4 provides threads.  It can tell you how many ideal threads there are
(presumably the number of hardware strands).

  Yes, the instruction set is SPARC, with 64 bit integer registers (31 of
those), plus the usual 32, 64, 128 bit floating point (lots of those too).

  The SPARC chip has a 4M L2 cache (8K I-cache, and 8K D-cache per core).  It
also has PCI express access to the graphics card.  I've been working (on and
off) on getting an SMP mandelbrot generator (13 instruction loop, run lots of
times) working.  Also it has 2 1Gb ethernet ports and 2 10Gb ethernet ports.

  I'd guess I have 4 to 8 G of FBDIMMs in four banks (for the single chip
version) with the one I have.  The two (or four) chip version has two banks of
FBDIMMs per chip.

  I can give it a try sometime, but for now I'm hammering on LPub 4.0.

Kevin