 CAD / Development / 10642
Re: Dear LSC, was: LDrawIni API (was: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:19:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com>
To: <lugnet.cad.dev@lugnet.com>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 5:56 PM
Subject: Dear LSC, was: LDrawIni API (was: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS -
additional search paths)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:
Don mentioned that already, it would be good to enable <SKIP> from the
programm. Imagine an alternate set of files with <SKIP> flag before
official ones. When the user can enable/disable the SKIP detection,
the user can see the different view without to modify any ini file
- on some systems users might not be able to modify these files
(e.g. when running with a guest account).

OK, <SKIP> will be parsed into a bit-flag LDSDF_SKIP and
LDrawIniComputeRealDirs
will have an extra parameter to include/exclude <SKIP> dirs:
KeepSkippedDirs, IncludeSkipDirs, DontSkipDirs, ExcludeSkipDirs,
SkipSkipDirs
- please come up with a good name...

The last function is LDrawIniResetSearchDirs, only to be called from
the
LDrawSetup program - or if you wish to override the search to be the
standard one.

Do we have to call LDrawIniResetSearchDirs before each call to
LDrawIniComputeRealDirs?

No. It is needed in LDrawSetup for a "Reset to default" button.
However, you may use it too if you wish to discard the search dirs
loaded by LDrawIniGet from the ini file and use the default search dirs
in stead.

Don't you ever need FileIsFrom* flags when processing the files
themself? If
you use global variables you cannot tell, which flag belongs to which
file?!

Well, I call OpenDatFile and right after I use the FileIsFrom* flags.
However, L3P also calls OpenDatFile in other contexts (e.g. l3p -check)
where the default part type is irrelevant.
But I know it's bad design, I'll pass it as parameters in stead.

These library is ideal for me at least, and I like this suggestion. Well
done Lars!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Is there any interest out there on a c++ class? If yes, I'll write a
well
documented one otherwice I do the quick and dirty way without comments
and
documentation :-)

:-) As mentioned earlier I need to stick to C code, but you are welcome.
/Lars

Dear LSC,

I examined the LDraw website and was unable to find formalization for the
support of optional part paths.  I'm updating LPub and would like to
include
support for this concept of alternate paths for LDraw parts.  The PRE and
POST
concepts make sense to me.

Parts authors would want PRE to point to directories where they have
updated
or new parts.

Mere mortal users would want POST to point to the directories where the
unofficial parts are stored.

The above implementation seems Windows environment specific. Could we
possibly
have a more platform independent method?  It would seem that this is best
specified outside an LDraw file because not all people will have their
parts
directories organized the same way.

One simple implementation would be to simply to specify the name of
official
directories for pre and post.  This way we would not need a separate
method and
data files for specifying and accessing this information.  The unofficial
parts
bulk package would dump its files into post.

Could we get a formal specification for this>

Keep up the good work and thanks,
Kevin

How do these differ from an official "unofficial" sub-directory? - see
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/mac/?n=768

The LSC has already voted against having a formal "unofficial"
sub-directory, prefering to leave it to software authors, so we may take
some convincing.

From a programming point of view, so long as you read PRE and POST from some
system (environment) variables you should be platform independant as both
Windows and Unix support them.