 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6634
6633  |  6635
Subject:
How to obtain good photographs to make head patterns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:27:07 GMT

The technique I've been using to make minifig torsos can be extended to heads,
but I have one critical problem that I haven't been able to figure out yet:
Before tracing an image, I need an image that is facing the camera head-on.
Normally to get a picture to trace, I just take an existing image and skew and
stretch it into place so it's facing me directly. This really won't work for
photos of heads, which have varying depth because they're mapped to a cylinder.

All I really need to make a patterned head is to have an image with an aspect of
26x16 (26 LDU wide, 16 high) that shows the face centered, and I can trace it
and break it up into sections as needed to create the necessary shapes. (The
image would probably need to be distorted first so the parts closer to the sides
were stretched more.) I can find some photos online which I believe are too
small to use easily, but they might be a good starting point if I can figure out
how to correct for their perspective. Example here:

http://www.bricklink.com/PL/3626bpb271.jpg

Notice the face on the left is turned slightly on the Y axis, and the face on
the right is turned even more. Both are pictured from an elevated position. Like
most Bricklink photos I think the size is too small to use my technique on well,
but if I find something with a higher resolution it will still need correction.

Is there any software that would help me correct the perspective in these kinds
of photos so I can use them? The only alternatives I can think of are getting a
better camera and taking my own photographs, painstakingly lining up each one,
or else trying to write my own image distortion tool. Neither is a particularly
exciting prospect.