 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5894
Re: Peeron or BrickLink Name? 3003p???.dat - Brick 2 x 2 with Red Dot Pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson wrote:
I am strongly against the idea of a third name for parts like this.

I agree.  Keep in mind, once the LDraw part becomes official, Peeron typically
updates their database to use the LDraw name.

What do you think, should I pick the Peeron name or the name used in Bricklink?

Peeron name: Brick 2 x 2 with Red Dot Pattern
Bricklink name: Brick, Decorated 2 x 2 with Dot Red on One Side Pattern

I'd go with the Peeron name, because it's simpler.  Unless there's another 2x2
brick with a dot on multiple sides...

Steve

Not any that I know of.

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in my question. Those "names" you quote are
what I call "descriptions". It's good to harmonize them too, of course. But the
differences are not as confusing as different part numbers are. But I mean the
file name (=part number). 3003pb06 or 3003px6? Or a third, exactly following the
LDraw naming conventions?

(The description conventions are much closer in Peeron and LDraw compared to BL
and LDraw.)

/Tore

We try to enforce some categorisation within the pxx suffixes for LDraw
patterned parts, using p0x for General/Miscellaneous and Town. See
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/patterns/> for the full list.

The Patterned Parts Reference (eg.
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptpatterns.cgi?p=3003> is a good way to look up
what is already known to LDraw - and yes, the existing 3003pxx parts pre-date
the formalisation of the categorisation.

So, please use 3003p01.dat as the filename for the red dot version (and if you
fancy the trivial extra work to make the blue dot version, you can use
3003p02.dat).

As Steve explained you will not be responsible for generating a third part
number, because peeron aligns with LDraw when the part makes it into the
official library.

Chris