 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3519
Re: panel with round windows (for 10020) updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:08:14 GMT

The rings aren't actually for POV- they're for LDraw.  They are simply
sections of 16-sided "curves" (and yes- they are in the "p" directory).  The
rotation/scaling matrix turns them and scales them up to fit onto the
panel's surface.  You can do this manually by tweaking the values directly,
or do the rotation in a tool like MLCAD.  Once you know how to work with the
primitives, they make parts like this trivial to create.

I don't know if we understand each other. As I understood from de L3P
manual, some primitives from the P-dir are substituted by L3P to POV
primitives. If you take a look at
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=152159 (where the new panels
are used) you will notice that the circels are now round, and not, as in my
version, 18-sided.
Let me get this staight: I don't want to sound as a know-it-all!

Using primitives at this point doesn't really do anything for you, because
you already manually built the quads and triangles that make up the curves.
The only reason to switch over now is to make for a smaller file and to be
more consistent with other parts (neither of which is critical in this
case).  Your approach actually models a curve slightly better, as it uses
18-sided polygons instead of 16-sided.

I understand, but again, I don't understand or know which primiives are
available and what they are used for.

Also- I believe that chrome sections are supposed to be separated into
subfiles, though I'm not sure exactly what the rules are here.

Thanks for the feedback!
De groeten, Jeroen