 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 828
Re: Resubmission of: Trailer on Flatcar (TOFC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:53:54 GMT

James J. wrote:

Whoops! Error in my in the final .DAT file. It is corrected in this copy. I
elected to change the trailer's final color. In case it shows up hollow, #391
is a mixture of the two grays.

<snipped dat>

Well, I am not sure what this is, but it is not a TOFC IMHO. Until the
last step I thought it was kind of "roadrailer"-ish. But that big yellow
front part baffles me. Either that or LDLite is displaying it wrong...

A TOFC is a conventional flat car with a trailer on it. Hence the name,
Trailer On Flat Car. TOFC cars are set up with fake fifthwheels and
tiedown chocks to allow one or more trailers to be placed on them. For a
long time TOFC cars were the most popular sort of intermodal, and a
standard had evolved for them of 89 feet, which allowed two "standard"
40 foot trailers to be loaded on them. But then trailers got longer and
now we have shorty spine cars that are about 55 or 60 feet that can take
one 40, 45, 50 or 52 foot trailer.

A roadrailer is a highway trailer with (some provision for) rail wheels.
Generation one had one rail axle behind the highway wheels. At the front
of the trailer is a tongue that can mate with a slot of the trailer in
front. The very first trailer mates to a special truck or some other
arrangement.

Generation two has a hardmount for a rail axle or bogie but doesn't
actually carry the wheels around with it when on the highway, it
mate-demates in the piggyback yard.