 CAD / 9796
Re: Switching from BITMAP/JPEG to PNG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:43:49 GMT

I've decided to keep the original two formats and add a third.

Processing of the new layout layer of LPub must be done in either bitmap or
PNG, because composite images made of JPEGs end up having the barground color
change all over the place.

I can see working the whole issue in bitmap, and then saving the final forms in
BITMAP, PNG or jpg.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
JPEG image format and the new callout capabilites in LPub (plus PLI • background
color non-white which I just fixed) are incompatible with JPEG because when • you
pack images together that are rendered with the same background color, not • all
the backgrounds look *exactly* the same.

I'm going to add PNG support to LPub for building instructions and want to
eliminate JPEG and BITMAP capabilities.  This will simplify things in a *lot*
of places in LPup.  Those of us who authored books for Syngress using LPub • used
bitmap format because it was loss-less.  For web publishing, JPEG is • typically
used because of reduced file size.

PNG provides lossless compressed images.  Rather than having to support all
three formats bitmap, JPEG and PNG, I only want to support PNG.

Any objections?

I don't necessarily object because I can completely see where you are coming
from. I will say though that recently in working with PNG in Photoshop, the
PNG images took MUCH longer for Photoshop to deal with them. I'm not sure
what was going on, but they took far long longer to open and to process than
their direct JPG and BMP equivalents. I also noticed that the BMPs seem to
compress down to almost nothing when Zipped, but the PNGs remain quite
large. (Important when you have limited hard drive space and are rendering
at print quality!)

For what it's worth. Again, I don't really object, just throwing a few other
things out to consider.

Jake
----
Jake McKee