 CAD / 5284
Re: Lego units
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:15:50 GMT

That's a pretty straightforward calculation if you know the dimensions of a
Lego piece.  However, actually measuring Lego parts doesn't give very even
measurements in either inches or millimeters.  Note that a plate is 8 LDU
thick and that a 1-stud brick is 20 LDU across.

I traditionally use 1/8" per plate thickness to estimate measurements.
Using 2.5 plates thick per stud, that puts a 32x32 baseplate at exactly 10".
However, measuring a baseplate (with bricks at the ends to make up for the
fact that a baseplate is actually smaller than that many studs of bricks)
gives what appears to be exactly 10 1/16 inch.  This isn't very satisfactory
as even numbers go, but it is off by less than 1%.  So .125" is a nice
number, but a more accurate inch measurement would be .12578125" per plate.
Divide that by 8 to get .015722656" per LDU.  Or 63.60248447 LDU per inch.

Metric measurements aren't terribly even either- the same 32 studs is 255
mm.  It appears to be dead on at 255 mm, and is clearly NOT 256 mm.  This is
too bad for those who like simple numbers, because 256 would make a very
nice even number of 8mm per stud (3.2mm per plate and .4mm per LDU).  Run
the calculations to get 640 LDU per 255 mm.  This is .3984375 mm/LDU.  Or
2.509804 LDU/mm.

If you can handle a small amount of inaccuracy then .4mm/LDU or 1/64"/LDU
are useful.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
After digging around for about a hour on Lego CAD websites, I'm completely
stumped as to what a Leog "unit" translates into as far as real world units
go (i.e. inches, millimeters, etc.) can anyone help me? Thanks

-Orion