 CAD / 17869
Re: I want to put .dat files into SolidWorks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:19:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jason Bardis wrote:
Some further progress.  It turns out that I was able to convert a .DAT file
to .STL with LDView & import it into SolidWorks, ... I can't mate or
manipulate it or even display it very well--there's no selectable geometry.

The modeling strategies for Solidworks and LDraw are fundamentally different:
LDraw is based on triangle meshes, and Solidworks is based on constructive solid
geometry.  Going from CSG to mesh is easy, but going the other way requires some
AI guesswork, and probably human input too.

LDraw does have various primitives which could help the converter do more than
spit out triangles, but I don't think anyone has written conversion software
that uses that data.

So for the time being, any geometry you bring in to Solidworks from LDraw,
regardless of the format, will just be a mesh of triangles.  You may be able to
mate it, or use the vertices as reference points, but it won't be pretty with
edge lines turned on.

--Bram