 CAD / 16366
16365  |  16367
Subject:
lxf to ldr converter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:13:56 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey,

in a social network (XING.com) a member (Ulf Rupprecht) asked for a tool to
convert lxf (LDD) to ldraw files and I started researching. I ended by reading
the entry from Duane Hess (http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ldd/?n=184): 'I don't like
having to use LDD as an intermediary when converting because it occasionally
strips out parts that are not currently available.'

So I decided to implement (c# .Net 2.0) a tool that can convert lxf or lxfml to
ldr or mpd files. You can have a look at it on www.digital-bricks.de, a German
website set up by Ulf (I hope there will be an English version too; in time...).
Though the website is German only, the converter is in English
(self-explanatory?).

But please do not be to euphoric. The converter needs the (a) ldraw.xml, too (to
avoid redundancy). So the result depends on the quality and quantity of its
entries. I have created some new entries and shared them with Mike Gallagher.

The converter will convert all parts he knows in the ldraw.xml. He will not be
stopped by 'currently not available' parts.
I have added <decoration> tags to a l2l.xml (an extended version of the
ldraw.xml (additional)) so that I can map decorated parts. E.g. the 'Brick 1 x 1
with Eye Pattern'. This will be interesting for minifig parts (like Torso and
Head).
And the upmost advantage for me is the report output from the converter. It
tells me which parts/decorations are missing; I can edit them in the xml-files
and convert again without restarting.

Inside the converter you can configure external applications to start with the
converted file (L3Lab, L3P, LDView, etc.).

Currently I am working on an additional generation of files for the magnificent
tool LD4DStudio from Roland Melkert. The first results look quite usable.

Rolf

(puh - my first post - I hope everything is correct/understandable)