 CAD / 16208
Re: Part naming for technic liftarms vs. beams
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 20:33:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Hi gang,
  I want to start by saying thanks to all those involved in creating parts and
managing the parts library.  We toolsmiths would not have a job if it were'nt
for the LDraw parts library.

  I have a question about naming conventions with respect to technic liftarms
vs. technic beams.

  I would like to start with comparing these two parts:

32523.DAT "Technic Liftarm 1 x 3 Straight"
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32523?img=20748

32524.DAT "Technic Beam 7" http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32524?img=21841

  The only difference between these two parts is the number of pin holes.  Can
we rename the "Liftarm 1 x 3" as "Technic Beam 3"?

  Secondly I'd like to compare of two studless technic parts that are L shaped.
The first one is the smaller L and the second the larger L.  The smaller L has
one axle hole, and the rest pin holes.  The larger L has all pin holes. They are
much more similar than different, yet they are named differently.  The smaller
is a liftarm, and the larger a beam.  Did this just happen, or is there a reason
for the differences?

32140.DAT "Technic Liftarm 2 x 4 L Shape"
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32140?img=20624

32526.DAT "Technic Beam 3 x 5 Bent 90"
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32526?img=302

  The reason I care about this is that I just finished adding "Bill of
Materials" (BOM) support to LPub 4 (unreleased).  Parts displayed in BOMs are
sorted by general part names.  For example, all the "Technic Liftarm" are
grouped and then sorted by size, and the "Technic Beam" are grouped and then
sorted by size.  This leaves the liftarms above in a different group than the
beams.  Not a big deal, but it would be nice if they could all be grouped
together.

  If it is possible for me to make this change, how would I do so?

Kevin

Many of the Technic "beams" got re-cycled through the Parts Tracker in 2009-01
for primitive optimisation and BFC reasons. I took the opportunity to implement
something that we had been talking about for some time - to name these types of
parts "Beams" (whether thick or thin), but to add a "Liftarm" qualifier where
the end hole is an axle hole.

As the official library stands after 2009-01, there are only 4 files that are
still called liftarms, and only because they have not been updated recently:

32523.dat     Technic Liftarm  1 x  3 Straight
32079.dat     Technic Liftarm  1 x  9 Offset Cross
32140.dat     Technic Liftarm  2 x  4 L Shape
32173.dat     Technic Liftarm 2 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints

all except 32173 (which is neither a beam nor a liftarm) are currently on the
Parts Tracker with revised (but still imperfect) descriptions:

They just didn't quite make it into 2009-01, but I had to draw a line somewhen
and concentrate on the update rather than certifying more parts.

Would it help you to know that these should be released in 2009-02 sometime this
summer?

Chris