 CAD / 15917
Subject:
Smoothing Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 05:27:41 GMT

I’m having some trouble getting a smooth surface on curved parts which do not have an LGEO substitue. Mesh Enhancer does a great job on triangular meshes, however there is a problem in parts with some sort of faceted symmetry. For example, the Technic Power Tyre has a subpart which is made of triangles. Mesh Enhancer takes care of this. But this subpart is repeated many times around the circumference and the facets between objects are not triangles and are therefore not replaced with smooth triangles. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks, Eric Albrecht

Technicopedia

Re: Smoothing Question
   I’m having some trouble getting a smooth surface on curved parts which do not have an LGEO substitue. Mesh Enhancer does a great job on triangular meshes, however there is a problem in parts with some sort of faceted symmetry. For example, the Technic Power Tyre has a subpart which is made of triangles. Mesh Enhancer takes care of this. But this subpart is repeated many times around the circumference and the facets between objects are not triangles and are therefore not replaced with smooth triangles. Does anyone have a solution to this?

You could inline the subparts so that L3P outputs the triangles as one subpart. This will allow Mesh Enhancer to work on these triangle as one unit. Let me know if you need help with this.

-Orion

Re: Smoothing Question
   I’m having some trouble getting a smooth surface on curved parts which do not have an LGEO substitue. Mesh Enhancer does a great job on triangular meshes, however there is a problem in parts with some sort of faceted symmetry. For example, the Technic Power Tyre has a subpart which is made of triangles. Mesh Enhancer takes care of this. But this subpart is repeated many times around the circumference and the facets between objects are not triangles and are therefore not replaced with smooth triangles. Does anyone have a solution to this?

You could inline the subparts so that L3P outputs the triangles as one subpart. This will allow Mesh Enhancer to work on these triangle as one unit. Let me know if you need help with this.

-Orion

I think I know what you are saying but I don’t actually know how to do it. I think you saying that instead of calling the subparts from the main part file I should just insert everything into the main file. Does this mean I need to try to manually rotate it around the axis 20 times or can I do this automatically within just the one part file?

Thanks, Eric

Re: Smoothing Question
   I think I know what you are saying but I don’t actually know how to do it. I think you saying that instead of calling the subparts from the main part file I should just insert everything into the main file. Does this mean I need to try to manually rotate it around the axis 20 times or can I do this automatically within just the one part file?

I believe that you can use LDAO to inline subfiles in a part.

--Travis

Re: Smoothing Question
   I’m having some trouble getting a smooth surface on curved parts which do not have an LGEO substitue. Mesh Enhancer does a great job on triangular meshes, however there is a problem in parts with some sort of faceted symmetry. For example, the Technic Power Tyre has a subpart which is made of triangles. Mesh Enhancer takes care of this. But this subpart is repeated many times around the circumference and the facets between objects are not triangles and are therefore not replaced with smooth triangles. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks, Eric Albrecht

Technicopedia

I’ve often felt it unfortunate that the LDraw format doesn’t support normal vectors. They’re not a substitute for cone/cylinder replacements, but they go a long way toward making objects *look* smoother.

-Mike

Re: Smoothing Question
   I think I know what you are saying but I don’t actually know how to do it. I think you saying that instead of calling the subparts from the main part file I should just insert everything into the main file. Does this mean I need to try to manually rotate it around the axis 20 times or can I do this automatically within just the one part file?

I believe that you can use LDAO to inline subfiles in a part.

Or you can use LDraw Design Pad...

Philo