 CAD / 15579
Re: Request for more stringent naming of (Complete|Shortcut) parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:16:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote:

<snip>

Yes, they should, but the "mistake" was made eight years ago, before we had the
clarity that time brings to standards implementation. The same applies to
754-756, at least.

For backward compatibility reasons we can never remove these files from the
parts directory, as people may have used them directly in models, and we don't
want to break those models. The best we could do is to replace them with "~Moved
to" files that redirect to a file in the parts/s directory. But all that does is
add another file to the library, for little added value.

This dilemma was recognised in the mass header edit that was part of the
Contributor Agreement implementation resulting in the 2008-01 update. The
description lines in these files are now prefixed with a tilde, indicating that
LDraw applications should not list them in their parts list.

This is good to know.  Sorry if I missed that.

Chris

Kevin