 CAD / 12992
12991  |  12993
Subject:
non-CA parts [was: Re: 3 noble quests for ldraw part creators]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:31:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
The thing that's been holding up the updates is switching to the new licensed
distribution.  Since not all authors have signed into the new Contributor's
Agreement, we've got to clean up the parts library -- probably by removing
files. :/  Or getting more authors to sign the C.A.

We've been holding off on doing any more updates until the library was cleaned.

Would it be possible to create old-complete.exe/old-complete.zip files, and make
them available on ldraw.org under the old license, so that people could at least
still download the files that get removed?

There is no "old license".  The current library is licenseless.

Or better yet, create an install
that only installs the files that didn't get approved with the new license?

The final decision has not been made but I feel that the non-CA files should not
go away until the author agrees to the CA (note that we haven't had any denials,
just non-contacts) or a suitible CA replacement is made.

I'll just add my two cents here...

Any pre CA parts are merely copyrighted.  While technically
redistributing the non-CA files is a copyright infringement,
there is really very little risk that any non-CA author would
complain.  They did originally contribute the part to the LDraw
community so they would be redistributed.  (Otherwise, they
would  not have contributed the part.)  If somebody did
complain, a simple "cease and desist" letter would suffice
to prevent further redistribution.  Taking LDraw.Org to
court and suing for damages would be a total waste of
time and money.

I guess what I am trying to say is that as long as the non CA
parts are marked as such, there is really no reason not to
distribute them along with the CA parts.

Lastly, how many parts are we talking about here?  10's,
100's, etc.?

Just my thoughts on the matter,

-Wayne