 CAD / 11131
Re: New LDraw Animation: Rotation Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:14:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   Thanks to Steven Krass we have a new LDraw tutorial on the very hot topic right now...

Great stuff. Thanks, Steven.

I actually was planning to do something similar. I’ll probably end up writing an include file similar to the walking minfig include, only it will automatically rotate the wheels on any car model.

Anyway, I wanted to add something related:

1. Convert any Ldraw file to POV using L3P (for a better effect, place the camera right in front of the model)

2. Open the file generated by L3p in POVray.

3. Scroll down almost to the bottom. You’ll see something similar to

camera {

#declare PCT = 0; // Percentage further away

#declare STEREO = 0; // Normal view

//#declare STEREO = degrees(atan2(1,12))/2; // Left view

//#declare STEREO = -degrees(atan2(1,12))/2; // Right view

location vaxis_rotate(<0,-29.5,-185> + PCT/100.0*<0,0,-185>,

<0,-34225,0>,STEREO)

sky -y

right -4/3*x

look_at <0,-29.5,0> // calculated

angle 67.3801

rotate <0,1e-5,0> // Prevent gap between adjecent quads

//orthographic

}

4. Go to the line that starts with “rotate” and add the following

rotate<0,-360*clock,0>

(You will now have two rotate commands one right after the other - don’t worry, it will still work.)

5. Now type into POV’s command line paramenters window

+KFI1 +KFF24 +KI0 +KF1 +KC

... or create an .ini file with the following parameters:

Initial_Frame=1

Final_Frame=24

Initial_Clock=0

Final_Clock=1

Cyclic_Animation=on

Both methods will work, but the first one allows you to use the quickres.ini file at the same time, alowing you to choose between several output resolutions with and without antialising.

Additionally, the Final_Frame= or +KFF can be changed to whatever you choose, making the animation larger or smaller (this number represents the total number of frames that the animation will contain).

6. In any event, if you have followed the instructions above and have POVray render the file, you’ll end up with something similar to the animation below: your model rotating so that the viewer can appreciate it from all angles.

In reality, it’s the camera the one that rotates around the car; which means it might not work if your model is not centered perfectly on the virtual 3D space. If that is the case, you can simply add the exact same code to the model itself: look for the last object in the POVfile - ussually called _yourmodelnamedotdat - and add the rotate<0,-360*clock,0> code before the “rotate” command already there (DO NOT ADD THE ROTATE COMMAND TO BOTH THE CAMERA AND THE MODEL - IT WILL NOT WORK)