 CAD / 10822
10821  |  10823
Subject:
Three new British Wagons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:48:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I thought that I would announce my first MOCs for a long time as I have been building these on and off for a while now. Most of my modelling is done in MLCAD and then translated to real brick as A: I’m rebuilding my house and my Lego is stored; B: I never seem to have the pieces I need.

The first two of the three are CAD only

FNA Nuclear Flask wagon These wagons are made of stainless steel but after a time seem to become a tan colour due to oxidisation and dirt so I have modelled this finish. The flask is carried under the white protective sunshield. These wagons are a pretty safe way of carrying nuclear waste around if you really have to. One of these wagons was used in a test, it was crashed into by a train travelling 100mph. Both the wagon and the train were a write-off but the flask inside was undamaged. A picture of a real FNA can be found here. This model might need a few alterations for a real build due to part availability in tan.

RNA Barrier wagon Until recently the FNAs needed a barrier wagon to be placed between them and the locomotive and also between them and the brake van (caboose). A variety of wagons were used but after a while HEA hopper wagons were used. These were recoded to RNA for this use but were otherwise unchanged. A later change was to cut off the hopper of the RNA presumably to increase visibility as can be seen here (This is the only photo I can find on the web, sorry its not great). This is the two wagons together, I need to model a brake van like Huw Millingtons. I’m pretty certain that this model could be built as is.

VDA van These vans were general purpose and were (I thought) fitted with four sliding doors each side. However I have since found out that only the centre doors were sliding and that the outer doors were hinged at the outside edge. I’m not changing the model though! I have built a model of this for real (see here, here and here)but have not yet fitted (or made!) the red stickers on the upper parts of the doors. A photo of real VDAs can be seen here.

The model has gone through several iterations, mainly modifications to the roof. Modelling in CAD I did not realise that sliding doors would not go past an element placed behind them and so ended up with an ‘upside-down’ roof. Its not very strong while being put together but I am pleased that I have acheived my aim of making the inside completely clear. The single axle bogie (truck) seems to work OK but of course does nothing when the wagon is propelled rather than pulled.

The gallery after moderation is http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62678

Tim David

NB The three letter codes are from the British Rail TOPS system of classifacation. The first letter is basically a type, e.g F=flat H=hopper(I don’e actually know what R is for. The second letter is the sub type, this is partly done in a consecutive manner, i.e A is the first introduced, partly at random and partly to give a meaning (I think these have N to stand for Nuclear The third letter is for brake type, all these are A for Air.

Thanks to Wagons on the Web and 53a Models.