 CAD / 10723

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:05:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:

   Allister - I’ve gone through about 1/3 of Powertools, and I’d say the material is organized a bit differently. Virtual LEGO devotes an entire chapter to parts authoring, and from what I’ve heard, it goes into greater depth with building instruction theory/creation (but I could be wrong, I’m using secondhand info here since I haven’t gotten to Powertools’ coverage of BI’s yet).

Well, based on that, I think Virtual Lego is the one for me.

I checked availability here in Australia at the local book shop today. There is one copy in the whole of Australia, and it’s SEVENTY NINE DOLLARS!! (about US$55). I ended up ordering it direct from No Starch Press for considerably less than that.

I need to get off my butt and pass along some info so the Australian clubs can bulk order them. Though as I recall, I’m waiting for something to be finalized from the publisher - I’ll check up on that. The Australian distributor ordered very few copies, I imagine the rest of the copies (minus the one) have already sold out. If you are from a club in Australia and are interested, email me.

   It wasn’t clear on the site - do they use surface or air mail?

For order fulfillment, I’m not sure.

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:02:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:

   I need to get off my butt and pass along some info so the Australian clubs can bulk order them. Though as I recall, I’m waiting for something to be finalized from the publisher - I’ll check up on that.

Ordering direct from No Starch was fairly painless (so far ;) and it should be here in a week or so according to the email I recieved late last week. I’ll be taking it along to the next BUGs meeting if it arrives in time, so there may be an increase in interest about then. If there’s an advantage in bulk ordering, I’ll be sure to pass that info along.

Cheers,

Allister

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:

   I need to get off my butt and pass along some info so the Australian clubs can bulk order them. Though as I recall, I’m waiting for something to be finalized from the publisher - I’ll check up on that.

Ordering direct from No Starch was fairly painless (so far ;) and it should be here in a week or so according to the email I recieved late last week. I’ll be taking it along to the next BUGs meeting if it arrives in time, so there may be an increase in interest about then. If there’s an advantage in bulk ordering, I’ll be sure to pass that info along.

Cheers,

Allister

I ordered mine from No Starch and it arrived within 7 days and cost around $50 Aus. My opinion of the book? Excellent. I originally downloaded the all in one installer and could not get some parts of it to work, with the chapter on software installation in the book it was very straightforward, I look forward to reading through the rest.

Don