 Belville / 195
194  |  196
Subject:
Belville parts in town buildings - Silly? No!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 04:22:48 GMT

I've often scoffed at LEGO sets aimed at girls.  They always seem so cutesy
and like the pieces wouldn't fit well with other LEGO models.

I remember the Paradisa sets.  I thought they were so silly.  Now, I would
kill for them.  Paradisa pieces are VERY popular in many of the LEGO town
web sites now days.  They provide excellent curved surfaces.

Well, despite the lesson with the Paradisa sets, I again scoffed at the new
Belville "Fairy Tale" sets when they came out.  They had such strange,
out-of-scale pieces and looked so bizarre.

Anyhow, my fiancee decided it would be fitting if we had some small LEGO
decorations at our up-coming wedding.  She felt that 5808 (Princes
Rosaline's) would provide a good start if I'd modify it a bit for her.  I
was still a bit ho-hum about it, so she said she was willing to kick in some
money for it.  I sneakily realized that I could find SOME use for the extra
pieces from the set, so I grudgingly ordered the set.

Next week, the set came and I assembled our decoration.  I had plenty of
extra pieces which I figured would just sit since they were so odd-ball.

Quite to my surprise, I realized that the set was a treasure trove of cool
pieces, when used in a town context.  All the pieces (with th possible
exception of the "castle" turret piece) could be properly placed in mini-fig
scale buildings.

The curved base plate made an excellent roof for my new fire station (you
can see it in a long shot here on the upper-right
http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/city2/top.htm )

I used most of the other parts in my new department store ( On the
upper-left of this photo:
http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/city2/rest1.htm )

I found that the Belville parts gave a really fresh, whimsical look to my
town.  Since then, I've eagerly purchased two 5824 (Millimy's House) sets -
at only $9 they are a great deal.  I've added several stories and a lot more
cool detail to my department store including two of the clear, pink
turret-tops to finish off the roof.  I also built a "theme" grocery store
with the little animals, vegetables, and other paraphelia.  I hope to put
pictures up in a few weeks.

I've actually even considered getting the "big" set 5808.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is not to discount sets that may seem
different in their "stock" form.  With a little creativity, you can turn
something "odd" into a real spark for your models.