 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 788
787  |  789
Subject:
ABC’s Latest Brickmation Video to Air on MTV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.general, lugnet.animation, lugnet.org.us.richlug, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:33:01 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The Animated Brick Company is proud to announce that its latest brickmation
video “plasticgrass” will be airing on MTV beginning Saturday, January 25,
2003.  It is scheduled to be shown that day at 4:41 PM EST (during either
“The Osbournes” or “Clone High” depending on which programming guide source
you use).

After Satuday, it will continue to be shown at random times throughout the
following month (at least once daily).  During that period of time, the
video will also be available for viewing on the MTV website.

The video is being aired as part of the ongoing “MPEG Us” campaign that MTV
launched back in mid-2002.  This campaign encourages viewers to “make their
own music videos” (no longer than 10 seconds) and submit them to the network
with the hopes that they might be used on the air.  Beyond the ego-boost of
having your work shown on MTV a handful of times there are no other prizes
awarded to the “winners.”  The number of people who make it on the air only
seems to be limited only by how long MTV keeps the campaign going.

What I’ve observed is that about once a month, MTV will rotate in a fresh
crop of 5 or 6 videos.  The MPEG Us clips can show up at any time of the day
or night though I’ve had the best luck catching them in the late morning and
mid- to late afternoon hours (EST).

But wait, the news get better – not only is my video airing on MTV but I was
actually paid to create it for them.  It seems a producer at MTV had seen my
brickmation video for Ween’s “The Mollusk” and liked it enough to get in
touch and let me know about the “MPEG Us” contest.  A few months later he
popped up again and asked if I’d like to be hired to create one as part of
the “official” p.r. for the campaign (at that time MTV hadn’t gotten a lot
of submissions).

Even more months later, after some typical corporate, legal and bureaucratic
delays, I finally had everything squared away contract-wise.  I created the
video and mailed in off to MTV just before Christmas.  I finally heard back
from them early last week and in the last couple of days received the
confirmation that the video would begin airing this Saturday.

I don’t know very many people who admit to watching MTV these days but
hopefully if there are any LUGNET folks out there who do indulge in it,
they’ll catch a glimpse of my video at some point.  Pay attention though
because it is only 10 seconds long and by the time you realize you’re seeing
Lego, the clip will be done.

For anyone that does get to check it out (either on MTV or via the website),
I hope you enjoy it.

Here’s a link to the MTV site’ page for the MPEG Us gallery.  It includes
links to videos that are currently airing (the ones at the top with
thumbnail pics) and a listing of videos that have already aired (with
links).  Hopefully, starting on Saturday or at least by early next week
you’ll see “plasticgrass” showing up on this page:
http://www.mtv.com/onair/mpeg_us/gallery.jhtml

Also, anyone who (for whatever strange reason) is interested in a more
detailed write-up about the making of this video and my dealings with MTV,
can check out my (long) Big Announcement posting on the BrickFilms ezboard
forums:
http://pub89.ezboard.com/fbrickfilmsforumsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1972.topic

And finally for anyone who is unfamiliar with my Animated Brick Company
work, here’s a link to my page here on LUGNET:
http://www.lugnet.com/~250/brickmation/

Thanks for reading this announcement.

Greg