 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 665
New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:57:09 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all

I have put up some pictures of my latest MOC.

It is a model of the Swedish high speed train X2000. The original has a
tilting mechanism to allow fast running through tight curves, but my model
is only suitable for straight Lego track and primarily intended as a static
model. The pictures are not as sharp as I had hoped, but I think you can at
least get an overview of the model.

The X2000 is the standard train for passenger service in Sweden running
every hour between Stockholm and Goteborg (where I live). The train set
consists of an non-tilting engine followed by 3-6 tilting coaches where the
last one has a driving cabin at the end. All coaches has the same colouring
except for the restaurant car which differs slightly as you can see on my
pictures. My set consists of the engine, one normal coach, the restaurant
car and the end coach. Normally the restaurant cars only travel with full
length sets of 7 units.

The Lego version of the train has width of 9 studs at floor level and 8
studs at roof level. The reason is the sloping shape of the real train but
also a consequence of the construction of the windows. Modelling realistic
train windows is always a problem. This time I have used 4x3 panels in
transparent blue which can be ordered from Lego at a reasonable price. In
order to give the windows better proportions (4 studs width  x 2 studs
height), I have put two small 2x1 panels in front of the lower part of the
panel and bent it slightly inwards. The wall between the windows are also
bent with help of 1x2 hinges to match the windows. I will make a Ldraw
picture shortly to explain the construction in more detail.

Please tell me know what you think.

Mattias