 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4429
4428  |  4430
Subject:
Western Maryland "Russian Decapod"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:17:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Western Maryland I-1 class “Russian Decapod”

During World War I the Western Maryland Railway received 10 surplus 2-10-0 steam locomotives all built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. These “Russian Decapods” were originaly part of a larger order placed by Imperial Russia with American locomotive builders Baldwin and Alco. But the onset of the Bolshevik revolution in 1917, stranded nearly 200 of these locomotives either awaiting shipment or in the process of construction. These locomotives were adopted by the United States Railroad Administration (USRA), the body created by the Government to oversee and control the railroads during the War, converted to American standards, and put to use on American railroads.They were well liked by the WM crews for their good steaming, easy firing, and good ride qualities. The “Russian Decks” lasted until 1950/51 when they were finally retired and sold for scrap.

I’ve been a huge fan of the Western Maryland but it’s taken me a while to get around to building a WM steam engine. I wanted to put as much effort into detail on this engine as I could. I also wanted to incorporate the new Power Functions system. The PF system allowed me to ditch a bulky more traditional 9v motor under the tender and use smaller brick built trucks. The tender houses the rechargeable battery box and the I.R. receiver. A medium Power Functions motor is hidden in the fire box and geared to the drivers.

You can see more on my Flickr Gallery.

And some photos of the real WM “Russian Decapods”.

Cale

Message has 2 Replies:
  Re: Western Maryland "Russian Decapod"

Your attention to detail is always amazing! This loco seems to be a great use for BBB medium drivers. I have to also say that it looks very impressive against Jeramy's Dark Red roundhouse. I had fun helping out with their layout and running my PF (...) (15 years ago, 16-Aug-09, to lugnet.trains)
  Re: Western Maryland "Russian Decapod"

(...) Another masterpiece. Cale, if you had any problems at BW, it was that you brought too many excellent works. Benn (15 years ago, 22-Aug-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)