 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4306
4305  |  4307
Subject:
Spent Nuclear Fuel Shipping Cask Rolling Stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:04:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have always had a fascination with nuclear power and anything related to it. I still firmly believe that nuclear power is one of the cleanest and most efficient methods of producing mass amounts of power and I sincerely hope that we continue to pursue advances in nuclear science that will help produce more efficient, cleaner, and safer power.

With that in mind, when I needed additional rolling stock for Brickworld 2008 it only seemed natural to build a spent nuclear fuel shipping cask car.

Spent nuclear fuel shipping casks are used to transport spent nuclear fuel used in nuclear power plants and research reactors to disposal sites such as the to-be-opened one at Yucca Mountain or the Nuclear reprocessing center at COGEMA La Hague site. Each shipping container is designed to maintain its integrity under normal transportation conditions and during hypothetical accident conditions.

In the United States, the acceptability of the design of each cask is judged against Title 10, Part 71, of the Code of Federal Regulations (other nations’ shipping casks, possibly excluding Russia’s, are designed and tested to similar standards (International Atomic Energency Agency “Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material” No. TS-R-1)). The designs must demonstrate (possibly by computer modeling) protection against radiological release to the environment under four hypothetical accident conditions, designed to encompass 99% of all accidents.

In addition, between 1975 and 1977 Sandia National Laboratories conducted full-scale crash tests on spent nuclear fuel shipping casks. Although the casks were damaged, none would have leaked.

Here we see the cask in its open position with the spent nuclear fuel on display. The cask was constructed as two halves and mated with technic pins.

Although the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has the primary responsibility for regulating the safe transport of radioactive materials in the United States, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requires that licensees and carriers involved in spent fuel shipments follow only approved routes, provide armed escorts for heavily populated areas, use immobilization devices, provide monitoring and redundant communications, coordinate with law enforcement agencies before shipments, and notify in advance the NRC and any states through which the shipments will pass.

Since 1965, approximately 3,000 shipments of spent nuclear fuel have been transported safely over the U.S.‘s highways, waterways, and railroads.

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

More pictures can be found...

MOCPages Page

Brickshelf Gallery