 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4073
4072  |  4074
Subject:
Hiawatha steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:06:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

For those of you who have been to either of the last two NMRA National Train Shows, you might have seen my Hiawatha train set,

You may have also noticed that the steam locomotive was more often a static display, giving way to diseasels. I was stumped because the Hi derails way too often at shows but runs just fine at home. Because I ran it so infrequently at shows, it took a while to diagnose the problem as arising from uneven track: 3 to 4 points of contact in a rigid plane, with two points of horizontal rotation simply does not glide over the wavy crests between tables so well. It doesn’t have the equalizers of a real steam locomotive to keep the wheels in contact with the rails. Then a few months of head scratching to come up with ideas to fix the problem, then many hours of tweaking the model last weekend (which resulted in tossing out pretty much all of the ideas I had), hesitation to tear the model apart and risk disturbing what balance I had, devising a new idea on the fly using a hinge close to the drivers and allowing the pilot to drop down as the track drops away while the drivers crest the peaks, then accidentally tearing the model apart and discovering just how solidly built it is (the two pieces snapped right back together), and with that inspiration, ripping it back apart to fix a few small problems.

I’m happy to say that the patient is in good health and ran solidly for at least an hour over very wobbly track at a show yesterday.

(the blur in the foreground)

Right now the locomotive looks essentially the same from the outside, but I’ll post photos of the new hinge as soon as I take them.

Benn