 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4026
4025  |  4027
Subject:
Retro-esque Batmobile
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 07:40:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Da na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
BATMAN!

Ahoy,

I loved the original Batman TV series, and to this day remember the words to the theme song (see above), so I thought it might be fun to build the Batmobile from the series.

I was away from any quality source material, so I decided to build it in the style of the original. Perhaps a forerunner of the one they used.

Note the Edsel inspired grill. Also, it’s right hand drive, so it might be what Batman drives when he’s downunder.

It was quite a fun build, despite being in black. I built only one side to start with, rather than a full width car. Which turned out to be a good approach - I could experiment without worrying about keeping it all symetrical. The wheel flares and wide tyres are distinctly un-60s, but without the flares, the whole thing was slab sided. So, perhaps it’s a right hand drive 60s Batmobile, upgraded with modern tyres, suspension and brakes...

Embarassingly, this is the first time I’ve used the 1x1 ‘cheese’ slopes in a MOC, and I must say I’m impressed. The trickiest part was the windscreens - I ended up having to rebuild the Batmobile 1 stud longer to accomodate their mounting, but it was worth it. If anything, I think perhaps it is a little short... but I wanted to keep it manageable to fit it inside a possible Batcave.

Anyway more pics below (click on them to see enlargements).

Cheers

Richie Dulin