 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3814
MOC: Kedleston Hall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:36:15 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Kedleston Hall is a classical 18th century mansion in Derbyshire, UK.  I've
modelled it in LEGO, and you can see the results here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/disley/Mansions/kedleston_ext1.jpg

The front is largely accurate, excepting the lack of sculpture and the fact that
I've compressed the staircase so that each flight only has one balustrade.  Of
course there aren't the right number of steps, balusters etc. - I was somewhat
limited by the medium given my chosen scale.  It's somewhat smaller than minifig
scale, but minifigs look good with it - the result is simply that the house
looks smaller than Kedleston does with people next to it, but the proportions
remain correct.

I've not modelled the side wings and the curving galleries that connect them to
the main house.  The sides are therefore not accurate, but are stylistically
appropriate.  There is also a partially complete interior, which I intend to
finish some day.  This is inspired by the real thing, but again not accurate, as
the model has far less depth than the original.  A photograph of the entrance
hall, with its mosaic floor of over 1000 tiles, can be found here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/disley/Mansions/kedleston_inside1.jpg

Once moderated, other photographs will be visible here:

To compare with the real thing, see:
http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/kedleston.php

Let me know what you think!

Al