 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3731
3730  |  3732
Subject:
GBC- Magnetic Ball Separator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 03:35:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

  I just finished my new module, a magnetic ball seperator. There was a
discussion a while back about building a module that could detect a single
'tracerball' in the ball flow. The red and blue basketballs were ruled out,
because the light sensor had too high of an error rate with detection. Zamor
spheres, while easy to detect, jammed most of the modules that would be in a
GBC. The Golden Egg from one of the Harry Potter sets seemed like the best
choice, but no one figured out how to reliably detect it.
  By putting six train couplers and the magnets around a medium pulley wheel,
attaching that to a 9-volt mini motor, and placing that over the ball stream, it
relaibly pulls out the magnetic ball.
  The module that feeds the separator mechanism is equipped with a counter, and
using the timer on the RCX it can display:
      1. The total number of balls.
      2. Ten laps worth of:
       a. How long the magnetic ball took to go around.
       b. How many balls (approx.) were in the lap.

  I have a simple video on youtube <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=468vVNAhvKM>
and some pictures on webshots
<http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/554321008vqaEdx?start=36>.

-Kevin