 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3542
3541  |  3543
Subject:
Rocket Turret from Dune2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:08:51 GMT

Hi all.

I have at last come up with a(n?) MOC that I feel is worthy of sharing! After disassembling my 8480 Space Shuttle (due to a broken gear that was impossible to replace without majoy disassembly anyway), I decided to try to recreate the rocket turret building from the real-time strategy game Dune2000.

In order to attain the functionality I wanted (see later) I had to add some electrical components from 8720 Power Pack (battery pack, motor, wire and conducting plate), and I made some labels for the controls, but I was not going to use anything else that isn’t in 8480 (hence the colour scheme!).

Anyway, here is the gallery.

Functions
  • Independent movement of azimuth and elevation
  • Fibre-Optics used to make ‘realistic’ firing of rockets
  • Remote control with joystic and fire button
Notes
  1. The wire that can be seen coming from the right hand side of the control leads to an adaptor that is plugged into mains power - I got sick of replacing batteries all the time, so I ‘hotwired’ my battery box.
  2. In this photo of the guts of the tower, the right hand motor drives the elevation of the firing blocks via the bevel gear in the centre, and the left hand motor drives the rotation of the turret through a rubber band attached to the half-bush at the far right.
  3. The elevation and rotation mechanisms are copied directly (and shamelessly!) from the 8480 Canada-arm.
  4. Trying to attach the micromotor to the structure proved quite a challenge, especially when I have no micromotor tops to work with :-(
  5. There are two videos files in the gallery. The .avi file is the original footage and is quite large, while the .wmv file is an edited version, and significantly smaller, but not everyone has access to Windows Media Player...
  6. Inspiration for the joystick comes from here.
  7. The control is the size it is mainly because the majority of beams I had leftover from building the tower itself were the 16 stud behemoths.
Comments/constructive criticism welcome.

Owen.