 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3141
3140  |  3142
Subject:
Can't See The Forest For The Trees?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:42:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Perhaps it is because the forest is blocked by these:-)

No, these aren’t from James Whitmore’s garden [1], they are part of the TCLTC’s next building phase!

There isn’t much to them in terms of building complexity, but I think that they have a cool effect, especially with figs in close proximity.

Just the facts:
  • They are quite heavy, so I needed to insert a stiff metal rod through them to give them enough support to stand.

  • They are composed of basically 5 sizes of “rings”. The pics basically tell the whole story, except here is my one little innovation: **Mutilation Alert** I didn’t like the thought of constantly refoliating the trees before and after every show because of delicate branch connections, so I cut flex tubing and inserted it in the branch joints, so as to make the bond between the 2 elements rather robust. You can see hints of some of the blue and black tubing HERE.

  • How many branches per tree, you ask? First off, you sound like a mom at a train show: “How many Legos (sic) did this take?” (as if I counted). But, my friends, this is your lucky day. I knew this question would come up and so I counted for you: the tree on the right HERE contains about 674 branches. BTW, My wallet wanted to say: “Hey, TLG, offer this part in bulk perhaps?” :-)
I am still experimenting on the shapes of the trees-- but I think these are an okay first effort.

Hope you all like them! They’ve grown on me;-)

JOHN

[1] Remember, he’s the guy who used to hawk Miracle-Gro