 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2786
2785  |  2787
Subject:
Small Pneumatic Hex Radial Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:45:59 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

It has been a while since I posted any new MOCs, so it pleases me to share this
with you.

Well, after the success of my compact small piston radial pneumatic compressor,
I decided to try my had at an engine.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/dual-hex-compressor/p9090172.jpg

Given that pistons have two ports, and pumps only one, the compressor geometry
would not work.  With a slight modification to twist the pistons 90 degrees, and
larger spacing between the tri-blade parts (my new favorite part), it fit
together nicely.

The six pistons are broken up into three pairs.  A given pair drives one switch.
I've found that two small pistons to one switch is a good ratio. The switch
drives the next piston pair in sequence.

The integral stud spacing between the tri-blades allows for better structural
reenforcement without much cross bracing compared to the compressor.  The
compressor had 1.5 stud spacing between tri-blades, making it difficult to make
as structurally strong.

Here are the images:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex-radial-engine/p5140073.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/hex-radial-engine/p5140074.jpg