 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2683
2682  |  2684
Subject:
New MOC - Class 08 Shunter with on-board uncoupling device
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:33:19 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Here is my latest MOC, a class BR class 08 shunter (nickname = 'Gronk') in BR
grey livery based on prototype 08 460.

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/GronkTQ1.jpg

Of course shunting is useless without being able to uncouple and couple at will.
The model therefore includes an in-built motorized device triggered by a
trackside ramp anywhere on the layout. With pnuematically operated points the
'Hand of God' will hopefully become a rarer sight!

Hidden within the six-wide body is a 9v battery box, 2 wires, a technic polarity
switch, a technic motor, reduction gear, worm drive and reciprocating motion
linked to the coupler at the cab end. The reciprocating motion pulls the magnet
from the normal (coupled) position into the dark recesses of the cab where it
shares it's space with thrashing gears and and a slightly nervous MF driver.
Here is a pic of the coupler in the 'normal' position which also shows the lever
which is operated by the loco passing a ramp & centre-offs with a rubber band
spring

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/GronkOut.jpg

To operate, you simply stop the loco adjacent to the ramp and wait whilst the
motor pulls the magnet into the cab. There is enough power to easily separate
from the adjacent wagon and then you can simply drive way, leaving the wagon
behind or push the wagon further into the siding without coupling. The complete
cycle takes a few seconds and is easy to judge with a bit of practice -
especially as just before they uncouple, the wagon is drawn right up close to
the loco.

Here is a pic of the ramp which is simple enough to be disguised as lineside
apparatus. It could be built shorter but it would mean more accuracy was
required to stop in the right place. Running straight past the ramp barely moves
the magnet so you don't disturb the train unintentionally.

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/GronkRamp.jpg

The model works well and uses 100% unmodified Lego parts. Hope you like it

Jon Reynolds

.