 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2372
2371  |  2373
Subject:
tartan paint?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:55:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello everyone.

My name is Norbert Black (I’m posting via Deborah’s account while my Lugnet authentication goes through), and I’ve been painting and otherwise modifying minifigs for about a decade now. I’m a member of ParLUGment, the Ottawa AFOL group, and I’ve been showing my work at our meetings for some time now.

As some of you may have noticed, Deborah recently dragged me into the spotlight on Lugnet in a posting about my work. Well, she’s got me trapped in her home office at the moment, and I’m not getting out until I post something about some of the work she just photographed...

Now on Brickshelf are a pair of images of a custom minifig I created to be the driver of my Edwardian-era Hansom cab.

When I brought him to the November ParLUGment meeting, there were questions about where I’d located a source of tartan paint - hence the title of this post. :)

Actually, there’s nothing special about the paint involved - it’s just a matter of knowing something of how the colours of a tartan are place, and then painting (by hand...) a whole collection of lines, rectangles and squares in a variety custom-mixed colours of craft acrylics. The work of painting the tartan on the brown minifig elements took about 8 hours. Obviously, sanity and a sense of proportion are optional in this sort of work.

One other thing of note about this figure is the custom hat piece - a bowler. This was made by reducing the width of the brim of a standard Lego cowboy hat, and reshaping its crown to a hemispherical shape. A small amount of epoxy putty was used to give the crown the necessary height. Once reshaping work was done, a coat of dark brown paint was used to make everything the same colour, and a hat band painted on.

I’d be interested in any comments people have about this MOC. If you have questions about the techniques I used, I’d be happy to try and help.

All the best,

Norbert Black