 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2363
2362  |  2364
Subject:
GAT-X105 Aile Strike Gundam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:12:21 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Brickshelf Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104719

First some links for those unfamilar with this design: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/seed/gat-x105+aqme-x01.htm
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN914211

After accumulated enough bricks, I decided to start one of my dream MOC projects - a large scale, highly detailed Gundam. I picked Strike because it is one of the better design in recent years, most of it’s surfaces are flat, and I haven’t seen one made in LEGO yet.

First I wanted to have two trans-yellow 1x1 plates as the visors (a.k.a. eyes). That basically defined the scale of the head, and the rest of the body. Click hinges were the obvious choice for the joints, since warm gears are too large for this scale. It took several weekends to put it together - head, hands, arms, foots, legs, lower body, upper body, shield, beam rifle, and the aile back pack. I aimed to finish and show it at the Hobby Show in Toronto last weekend, and I made it in time.

As for the result, IMO...

Good:
I really like the head and the upper body. The back pack is also quite good.
It is quite posable, with double hinged fingers and knees, but...
It’s big, and is quite a presence at he show.

Bad:
The scale is quite off in some area, especially the lower body. The legs are too far apart, limited by the technic click hinges. The legs should be longer and thicker. The head and the chest looks too big due to the legs. I already try tweaking it but didn’t work out too well
It’s too big, hence heavy. The click hinges are too weak for the weight. Even without the back pack it will fall without the stand. The arms can only hold a few angles when carrying the shield and the beam rifle.
I added a cockpit since there is room, but it is totally off scale.
I wish I can use dark gray on the body instead of black.
No Armor Schnieder. Not enough room for it.

From the Hobby Show:
Some fans recognized it right away. Well Gundam Seed is currently running on YTV so that is expected.
Heard many parents said: “Look, a transformer!”... ^_^;;

Well next time I think I will try a smaller scale, or have a better scale plan. LMKWYT