 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2113
2112  |  2114
Subject:
Sheik's Oasis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:33:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello Everyone,
This is my newest creation:

It's a fortified desert oasis.  I've attempted to imbue the entire structure
with a pan-Islamic architectural feel.  The style is meant to be representative
of the broader Muslim age cultures of the Middle East (Persian, Chaldean, etc.),
while hints of their Northern and Western Arabesque/Turkish (Saud, Seljik)
conquerors are found throughout.
Like many structures in the Arab world there are two doors in the gate, one to
enter and one to exit.  The Minaret has been retroactively added to the western
corner, reflective of the adoption of Islam as the new socio-political paradigm.
The soldiers manning the fortfications are representative of a unified fighting
force, organized and financed by a prominent Sheik, one who has a vested
interest in protecting a valuable water source.
The Oasis being a necessary stopping point on a long journey, has attracted a
number of merchants and travelers.  An African Sheik and his Nubian bodyguard
have stopped for an afternoon of rest.  Honoring  Islamic law, the women are
robed and covered for modesty.
It is a little known fact that the majority of tactical advancements made in the construction of stone fortifications came from the Middle East, and were later imported to the European continent.   The Muslim conquerors that swept through the Middle East, and Northern Africa were masterful in their consruction of defensive structures, and the societies created by their absorption of indigenous cultures were ornate, and well ordered.
It's been a long time since I've posted a M.O.C. and I've appreciated hearing from so many of you in my absence.  I recently moved into a new home, and all of my Lego was boxed and stored for a very painful 8 months! This is my first M.O.C. since July '03, so if I'm a bit rusty, go easy on me!

Jon Furman
Lugnet #1123
"Use the brick separator, your teeth will thank you later."