 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2096
2095  |  2097
Subject:
Motorbike
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:06:44 GMT

I presume that many of you have seen the motorbike sets lego released last year. Due to my recent emergence out of my dark ages(1) I only bought some of them a month ago. Since the standard models bored me (not to mention the fact that some models were quite flimsy) I decided to build my own.

The model isn’t stunningly complicated, nor does it have any more extras other than the fact that it moves on it’s own, my goal was simply to build something sturdy, yet attractive to look at, whilst getting my feet wet with the new studless elements.

With a couple of gears I made a turntable to take a couple of pictures from all sides, which I used to make an animation of 12 frames. (If you want to see the turntable, just ask, I’ll snap some pictures of it.)

Sadly, said 12 frames weren’t enough for a completely smooth animation (far from it) but the work for 12 alone was enough in my book.

Also, I’m propably overstating the obvious, but black isn’t an easy color to photograph. I spent a lot of time cleaning the pictures up. You live, you learn.

More pictures:

left side/back. left side/front. front/right side. back/right side.

After a quick search on brickshelf I found that very few people actually use the pullback motors in their creations. Oden has a couple of nifty models, but that was all I could find. (Although I remember a land rover model being powered by one a while ago.)

I was wondering about that. Do you (you being the members of Lugnet) consider the motors unrealistic? Are they too hard or big to fit in a creation? Are they too big or too small for the scale you usually build in? Just about anybody I’ve spoken to about the pullback motors said something like “they should’ve done that ages ago!” or “I would’ve played ages with these if I would’ve had those when I was a kid!”

I’d love to hear some responses to that. (And to the model, if it’s not too much trouble :)

(1) Recent being 6 months ago and dark ages being just 4 years, those not so much dark as just slightly clouded.