 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1899
1898  |  1900
Subject:
Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:21:07 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Introducing the Discovery I...

Being one of my favourite vessels in science fiction, I’ve wanted to build a LEGO version of this ship for a long time. And as it turns out I actually HAVE been building it for a long time. :) I think I started this puppy back in December 2002. Among other things that time was spent waiting for parts to be released (gray 6x6 radar dish, gray 3x3 radar dish) and ‘getting it just right’ (I’ve lost count of how many times various parts of the ship have been redesigned). Mix some heavy doses of procrastination in there as well. :)

Here’s a ‘candid’ shot of the ship sitting on one of my build tables to give a better idea of it’s size. Notice the storm trooper in the middle of the stand.

In the end I’m very pleased with how it turned out. The only piece I will forever be waiting for is a gray open ended wrench for the pod arms.

At some point I’ll have to figure out where to display it. At the moment that build table (being 8ft long) is the only surface in my house that is big enough for it to sit on - other than the floor of course!

Enjoy!