 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1712
Subject:
P-51D Mustang with red cowling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:46:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi

Inspired by two excellent P-51D Mustangs recently published here and on
Brickshelf by Douglas R. Clark and David Thomas Jr, I have rushed to complete my
own version of this famous and beautiful aircraft. You can see the first
CAD-renderings here. Photos of the real Lego-model will hopefully follow in a
couple of days

David Thomas wrote the following about his fantastic P-51 "The last part that is
unique and really sells the authenticity is the dihedral angle of the wings.
Most WWII fighters have this angle, and without it, the models just don't look
right."

My model must have the same dihedral property, but could it be included in a
minifig scale model? You can see my solution by using hinge-plates locked by two
rotated Technic 1X4 plates in one of the pictures. This method gives a very
stable and compact solution. You will have plenty of room for the pilot in the
cockpit above.

Other parts that were a bit tricky are the engine cowling, the propeller and the
canopy. The standard Lego propeller is a bit small so I developed my own using a
round 2x2 plate and the same Technic 1X4 plates. For cowling the problem was
getting the exhausts look right Here I have used 1x1 plates with vertical clips
offcenterd by 1/2 stud in two directions. The solution for the Bubble canopy is
to use the fine starwars windscreen 41883 (for the moment a unofficial Ldraw
part) combined with the plane 1x4 windscreen 31661.

For decoration and nose-art I have used 1x4, 1x2 and 1x1 decorated tiles applied
on 1x1 bricks with headlights 4070 on the cowling and just below the canopy.
Here you can use what you have got in the spare-box.

The next step for improvements can be to incorporate the genius folding landing
gears invented by Douglas Clark, but I am not certain it will fit in my thin
wing.

Any comment are most welcome

Mattias

Re: P-51D Mustang with red cowling