 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 122
121  |  123
Subject:
Helms Deep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:37:02 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey all, here is another of my interpretations of a classic Tolkien
location.  There are photos of the structure itself, and a small recreation
of the Hornburg Battle.
As with most Epic Literary Interpretations, scale has been sacrificed for
detail and a limited supply of bricks.  I did my best to stick with the
"Feel" of Tolkien’s work and give the tower an otherworldly feel.  Not
included in the location’s fortifications is the Dike which runs parallel to
the wall.  Since the dike would be over a quarter of a mile in distance from
the wall, it was not included for the sake of keeping the model on my work
table.  I’m mentioning this because I’ve realized from numerous E-mails
about Bag End that many Tolkien fans are quite biblical in their quest for
“accuracy”.  As a disclaimer, any change from the book generally has to do
with a limited number of bricks and the subjective nature of imagination.  I
of course enjoy any discourse on the works of Tolkien, and as always I
welcome any and all feedback. I hope you enjoy!

Helms Deep
From JRR Tolkiens Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.
Constructed by the men of Gondor and ceeded to the men of Rohan, the refuge
of Helms Deep was the site of the Battle of the Hornburg during the War of
the Ring.
Like many of Tolkien's locations, the description of Helms Deep's
fortifications is finely detailed in function but deceptively vague in form.
Found in Vol. II Book I -The Two Towers, the description allows almost every
reader to imagine their own vision of the location.

…"..At Helm's Gate, before the mouth of the Deep, there was a heel of rock
thrust outward by the northern cliff. There upon its spur stood high walls
of ancient stone, and within them was a lofty tower….The Hornburg it was
called, for a trumpet sounded upon the tower echoed in the Deep behind...A
wall, too, the men of old had made from the Hornburg to the southern cliff,
barring the entrance to the gorge. Beneath it by a culvert the Deeping
Stream passed out. About the feet of the Hornrock it wound....The Deeping
Wall was twenty feet high, and so thick that four men could walk abreast
along the top, sheltered by a parapet over which only a tall man could look.
Here and there were clefts in the stone through which men could shoot. This
battlement could be reached by a stair running down from a door in the outer
court of the Hornburg…"

The Battle of the Hornburg
As they rode to defend the city of Minas Tirith, the soldiers of Rohan were
waylaid by the forces of the brigand wizard Saruman.  Orcs, half orcs, Uruk
Hai, and fierce men from Dunland drove the men into the ancient mountain
fortress of Helms Deep.

In the canyon's  deeping coomb the men of Rohan defended the deeping wall
which stretched from the cliff face to the Hornburg tower fortress.
Defending the deeping wall and the fortress itself proved to be a difficult
challenge but the Rohirrim found themselves up to the task.

PS.  If this piques your interest, Please go read the Books!

Jon Furman
Lugnet #1123
“Juniorisation is as the sin of divination.” Hesitations 4:17