 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1211
1210  |  1212
Subject:
Standing on the shoulders of Giants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:08:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Thus Spake Zarathrustra!

Formeathan - The Stormbringer

For the past two months, I have been working on a project of great importance to me. I don’t expect the castlers to be too excited about it, but I think the Mech heads will like it. So without further ado:

Images are here:

Dragon 1
Dragon 2
Dragon 3
Dragon 4
Dragon 5
Dragon 6

Model Notes:

I stood on the shoulders of giants while I built this dragon.

He’s been totally rebuilt. Using worm gears, toggle joints, and 24 toothed gears, I built him from the ground up. The only things left untouched are his head and two hands.

Using the ingenious design aspects from Brian Cooper’s original two Dark Gundam’s design:

And from Eric Sophie’s Rin Tin Tin Din Din:

I took my Red Dragon MOC Formeathan:

And rebuilt him into what you see today. He is fully posable and, unlike before, can hold up his entire weight.

Beyond his original design, he has a few added features:
  • More dynamic foot and ankle
  • Added rear leg hip flap and rotation joints
  • Cloth and lighter weight wings
  • Added point of articulation for wings
  • Main spine flex
I’ve done my best to maximize organicness, so I tried very hard to cover up all gears, axles, everything. Which is ironic, for as complex as he is, I tried to make him look like I’d not used anything complex to build him with. For the most part, I feel like I succeeded. Harder places to cover, like the knees and elbows, could not be easily covered, so instead I created spikes to block them from view.

He’s also quite a bit larger than his original form, so he’s the biggest of the four dragons. I do not have any plans to do similar redesigns for any of the three other dragons.

Further images, including in-progress pictures, will come later after I take a break. Now all I have to do is decided whether he belongs in the castle or mecha room at Brickfest.

There are a lot of people who need thanking for the creation of this model:

Brian Cooper and Eric Sophie - for their astounding designs

Troy Cefaratti and Eric Sophie - for their incredibly generous donations

Eric Sophie for his constant guidance in these past two months

And these fine Bricklink shops for the parts I needed:

A LEGO ADDICT’s DREAM
BIODRAGEN’S LAIR
Bricks By Terry
GoB - Troy’s Surplus LEGO
The Lego Heap

And all the other people who helped me through that I haven’t meantioned here, you know who you are.

PLMKWYT!

--Anthony