 Announcements / 3610
3609  |  3611
Subject:
United States Capitol finished after 4 years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:09:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear LEGO fans,

Dominik Gerlach, a 26-year-old AFOL from Germany did it. He has build the United States Capitol with LEGO bricks. I was happy to be able to interview the masterbuilder recently:

HoMa: How comes that you had the idea of building the United States Capitol in LEGO?

dominik: A good question! I have seen it several times on TV. And I was fascinated about the dome.

HoMa: When did you had the idea for the first time and when did you actually start building?

dominik: The idea was born in 1997, the actual planning and construction started in 2003.

HoMa: What means “planning”? Have you ever been to Washington to take pictures?

dominik: Well, planning means to buy and collect LEGO bricks in larger quantities. And I searched for pictures and the floor plan on the internet. I regret, I have never been to Washington and I only know the Capitol form TV and movies.

HoMa: Have you found enough materials online, e.g. the floor plan?

dominik: I found many pictures but no floor plan. After 9/11 it is more less impossible to find accurate measurements and figures about public buildings. But thanks to Jan Beyer and the chief designer form LEGOLAND California. They helped me to organize the floor plan which was used while building the model for the miniland in Carlsberg.

HoMa: Ok, back to the LEGO model. Did you just start building or did you think about any scale first? And at which part did you start building?

dominik: No, I didn’t just start building. I’ve choosen scale 1:40, a very typical scale among LEGO fans building in minifig scale.

dominik: First of all I started to built the floor plan of the building to realise the size of the model.

HoMa: But you were surprised of the size ..?

dominik: Oh yes, I was really impressed as I saw the full size of the model. I thought to myself to be stupid trying to build such a huge building.

HoMa: But you were not feared about the size of the model?

dominik: No not really. I thought that all collected bricks so far will be enough for the model. But this thought was very naive.

HoMa: But you were building modular so the whole building could be transported?

dominik: No, not from the beginning. It took some time to re-build everything. I thought I could have built 7 modules each for one part of the building. But these modules were much to big and to heavy for safe transportation.

HoMa: I remember, once you have shown me such a wall-module. A pretty cool idea using modules like this.

dominik: Yes, using wall-modules like this was a very clever idea. In review the best idea to realise such huge models.

HoMa: You have been working for 4 years on the model. How many hours a week or a month did you spend in your LEGO room?

dominik: I don’t know. Sometimes I was building the whole night, sometimes I didn’t work on this model for weeks.

HoMa: Often you will be asked where to get all the elements? We have met at the LEGOLAND Germany where you did shopping at the pick-a-brick wall.

HoMa: But the LEGOLAND doesn’t offer everything you need. Were else did you buy the bricks? Bricklink? Or is this your secret?

dominik: No, this is no secret. The most parts were bought in LEGOLAND Germany, that is right. Also many so called “Wühlkisten” which I bought completely, help of good friends form 1000steine and the retailer I can trust. But the rest I will keep secret.

HoMa: You also needed elements which are out ouf production, even in large quantities. I am talking about all the classic 2 x2 windows.

dominik: Yes, the windows were a really big problem because I needed so many of them. Fortunately there were 3 persons selling enough of them when I needed them. HoMa: 3 Persons? 3 Bricklink-Shops?

dominik: No bricklink shops, but really good friends of mine.

HoMa: Which elements were hard to get?

dominik: White windows 2 x 2, plates in medium blue in large quantities for the roof and white 6 x 6 plates with rounded corner form old Paradisa sets (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=6003).

HoMa: Let’s talk about numbers ...

dominik: Ok.

HoMa: How many 2 x 2 windows did you use in the model?

dominik: 4,500

HoMa: Can you tell form other special elements how many of them were used, e.g. 1 x 2 brick in white?

dominik: Yes, 32 of the white 6 x 6 plates with rounded corner.

dominik: 15,000 white 1 x 2 bricks

HoMa: 15,000!? I am speachless ...

HoMa: Did you count all pieces or is this only a guess who many elements are used.

dominik: I have counted every pieces while building.

HoMa: Wow, how many in total and how many tiles did you use?

dominik: In total about 750,000 LEGO elements.

dominik: 400.000 elements only for the wall-modules without the roofs and the dome.

dominik: 2,100 1 x 1 tiles in white

dominik: And 8,200 dard grey tiles for the street in front of the building.

HoMa: What is the size of the building, without the park?

dominik: Length 3,50 m (11,48 ft) and width 0,94 m (3,08 ft) (without stairs). Without the statue on top of the dome the building is 1,20 m (3,93 ft) high.

HoMa: How big should the table be to set up everything?

dominik: 4,50 m (14,76 ft) by 2,10 m (6,89 ft) till now. When everything is finished it will be 4,10 m (13,45 ft) by 4 m (13,12 ft).

HoMa: What is missing? The building is already finished?

dominik: Yes, but a big staircase is missing at the back and the park needs to be expanded. At the front the street should have 6 lanes, like the original street.

HoMa: To transport everything you have built wooden boxes. What is the total weight if all boxes are filled with the modules of the model?

dominik: I love to know this too, but I don’t know.

HoMa: But you have to use a mini-van if you want to transport everything to an event?

dominik: A normal car is too small. A mini-van is the minimum and pretty helpful.

HoMa: Back to the building techniques. You have used tons of tiles at the basement. What was the biggest building challenge?

dominik: The dome was the biggest challenge. I have never done this before and to fit in the oval windows wasn’t easy.

HoMa: But you will agree if I say that building rounded forms using LEGO elements is the ultimate challenge for an AFOL.

dominik: Definitely, that is why I wanted to build the Capitol and it’s dome.

HoMa: Where will you present this gigantic MOC to the public?

dominik: The next event is in Skaerbaek in Denmark (28.-30.09.2007), and hopefully Frechen. But I can’t confirm this yet.

HoMa: How long must the visitors be patient till everything is set up?

dominik: The setup takes 6 hours with two people.

HoMa: Dominik, thanks for this interview and good luck with the LEGO Capitol!

Links

Gallery at YouBrick.com: http://www.youbrick.com/v/Town/capitol/

The real one at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol