 Announcements / 3143
Subject:
IRON MECHA Results!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 03:47:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Greeting my Iron Mecha masters!
Welcome to all the spectators!

The judges have given me their results and I have tallied them.

First, I’d like to say that this has been a blast, and quite the competition. I also have a few thanks I’d like to say.
Thank you to EVERYONE whom entered IRON MECHA. Without you there would be nothing to celebrate.
Thank you Aaron, Steve (H) and Steve (W), our IRON MECHA judges, for their time, diligince and opinion.
Thank you to all those that participated in discussion on IRON MECHA.

Our IRON MECHA Champion is:

Mark Stafford

Congradulation Mark! You’re our IRON MECHA Champion.

I have included a full listing of the entrants that we recieved, their scores, and a comment from one of the judges.

Rank
   Builder’s Name
   Creation Name
   Final Score
   Judge commentary

1
   Mark Stafford
   Provost
   41.90
   Simple design. Good use of color highlighting. Steve H.

2
   Bryce McGlone
   not named
   41.10
   This Mecha accurately represents MY image of a real Mecha built from the prototype drawing. Excellent use of color, and there are some very nice hidden details. Steve H.

3
   Derek Schin
   The “Angel” Mechs (Garret, Munroe, and Duncan)
   40.30
   Excellent capture of the shape in at micro scale. Controlled use of color. Smart-alek naming gets a few whimsy points. Not impressed by the diarama though. Aaron S.

4
   Eric Sophie
   The Qwelder-Mech
   39.50
   Classic Sophie. It has the look of a pissed-off cat (Mad Cat?) which is not my favorite. However, it shows outstanding detail on every single piece of the Mecha. Steve H.

5
   Matthew Evans
   not named
   39.20
   The excellent use of color kept this mecha high on my list. Good detail, and faithful to the original art. Steve H.

6
   Adrian Drake
   not named
   39.00
   I’ve always loved models with hidden functionality, like this. I also found the use of color very pleasing. Steve H.

6
   Dave Johann
   not named
   39.00
   The most wicked and bravest color scheme in the contest. And yet it still manages to look like a military anime mecha. Straight forward joints and oversized photos were my only nits. Aaron S.

6
   Justin Ramsden
   Heavy Weapons Mecha Unit (H.W.M.U)
   39.00
   I love the shape of this, probably the most intimdating proportions in the contest. You got a little crazy with colors, especially yellow/orange and the trans-green. Cool use of minifig legs, and the spikes on the mecha’s legs are rocking too. Aaron S.

7
   Timothy Gould
   Hitachi Heavy Industries Iron Mecha
   37.30
   I really like that you stepped away from military mech, and made it construction. Your choice of yellow fits well. The cab is well sculpted, but the claw arm is somewhat simple, and not terribly posable. Thanks for including the minifig for scale in an LCAD. Aaron S.

8
   Megan Rothrock
   CLICKATRON
   37.00
   Totally whimsical. Cute IS evil. You got so far with the ‘feminine’ colors But the joints are very simple, and I’m still not convinced that the feet are (rest of text lost) Aaron S.

9
   Marco Tagliaferri
   Iron Fist
   36.90
   This Mecha included a very complete and good story about the building process. Both the Iron fist and Little Fist are true to the oiginal art, given their scale. Good use of small detail and color. Steve H.

10
   Allister McLaren
   Centaur
   36.70
   Extremely unique concept. Lots of guts to go this route- points in my book. Some great sculpting, some mediocre. Simple tech. Aaron S.

11
   Tony Hafner
   not named
   36.20
   A well built small mecha. Can’t say micro, since you included infantry in the last photo. Good use of parts for sculpting and articulation. Excellent photos, and I like that it seems braced for firing! Aaron S.

12
   Fradel D. Gonzales
   not named
   36.00
   Baddass colors and sculpting proportions. Looks menacing and cool. Joints are strong, and work in your color scheme. Aaron S.

12
   Jeff Ranjo
   Ground Support Gun Platform “Jumping Flea”
   36.00
   Totally wacky. Points for using so many weird parts. Very alien, yet still recognizably inspired by the art. More ‘UFO’ themed than ‘Exploriens though. Aaron S.

13
   Brian Cooper
   Bandolero!
   35.50
   Very nice presentation, faithful to the original art. Color lacks contrast. Steve H.

14
   Keith Goldman
   The Gentleman Crab
   34.20
   Pretty far from the original artwork, but cannot see why. DkRd and Tan always look nice. Excellent missle pods. Love the diorama, know that’s your deal, but it was a mecha contest. Aaron S.

15
   Nathan Proudlove
   not named
   33.50
   I really like the use of gears for the gun, and as radiators on the back of the weapon pods. They seem odd on the arm joints though. Legs seem sturdy dispite the simple joints. Aaron S.

16
   Paul Cook
   Light Prototype Mecha #N1473
   31.50
   The legs and lower thorax are well sculpted, good use of parts. The upper half feels like you hurried. The construction becomes simpler there. It’s a simple, but well handled color scheme. The alternate version works well, and scored you some whimsy points. Aaron S.

17
   Tuomas “TheQ” Kukkamaa
   Crowbar Hero versus the Last Boss
   31.20
   These legs are awesome, and I enjoy the use of weird parts in them. And the build of the body and railguns is good too. But you got too far from the inspiration, I think. If it wasn’t listed as such, I wouldn’t connect it to the original artwork. Aaron S.

18
   Leigh Holcombe
   not named
   31.00
   Really cool hip and knee joints, and I like the grabber too. I wish you’d not used KK2 hinges on the weapon pods. Could use some color. Nice micro scale version. Aaron S.

18
   Michael Dallaston
   The Red Queen
   31.00
   Good solid construction. You go from studless to many studs in places. Cockpit looks like a ship or aircraft. Not fond of the gun styling or the R2D2. Aaron S.

19
   Ka-On Lee
   ML-12 Bulldog II
   30.00
   Nice rendering of the artwork. Cool optional weapons. Could use some splashes of color, at least warning markings. I don’t really like all the studs out and tubes out construction though. Aaron S.

20
   Jude Beaudin
   FD-98 “Washout” Fire Fighting Mech
   29.50
   Neat concept for a mech. Proportions are way off, those legs could never support its torso! Good use of trans-blue. Aaron S.

21
   Brandon Griffith
   not named
   29.00
   Excellent representation of the original art in Micro scale. Steve H.

21
   Tony Alexander
   Mining Platform
   29.00
   You spent a lot of time on joints it seems, and then didn’t pose the finished mecha to show off the articulation. Some of the bubble dome parts you used on the upper torso work well in Micro scale, but the legs are overly simple. Aaron S.

22
   Kyle Vrieze
   Iron Rhino
   28.80
   Cool missle pod and cockpit. Spidery proportions. Understand your color scheme was based on parts, but it’s not exciting. Really like the 3x3 radar dish on the bottom of the 4x4 round brick. Really think the MF escape parts restricted your sculpting too much. And they further throw off your color scheme. Aaron S.

23
   Peter Blencowe
   Renault FT-99x
   28.50
   Micro-scale can be even harder than minifig scale. Although I like the ‘official set’ building style, it’s not quite as polished as the Creator robots are. I like the interesting parts you used in the legs. Aaron S.

24
   Brian Pilati
   not named
   26.50
   Some interesting components, but hard to tell what the end result will be. Color scheme didn’t seem finalized. Hope to see it when you do finish. Aaron S.

25
   Christopher Snead
   not named
   24.00
   Your joint technology is brilliant. And I think you provided a lot of assistance to other contestants. Would love to see what you make of this mecha if you decide to ‘skin’ it. Aaron S.

26
   Howard C. Willis, Jr.
   not named
   16.00
   Intriguing toe shape. At the scale you’ve got, I think the legs would be hard pressed to support the finished model. Thanks for participating. Aaron S.

27
   Sam Pagel
   not named
   12.00
   Very hard to see what you were going for. You’ve got some cool looking hip joints started. Aaron S.

Thanks again and I only have one question remaining, do you want to do it again?

Your Iron Mecha Host
Mark Neumann

Re: IRON MECHA Results!
The judges have given me their results and I have tallied them.

First, I’d like to say that this has been a blast, and quite the competition. I also have a few thanks I’d like to say.
Thank you to EVERYONE whom entered IRON MECHA. Without you there would be nothing to celebrate.
Thank you Aaron, Steve (H) and Steve (W), our IRON MECHA judges, for their time, diligince and opinion.
Thank you to all those that participated in discussion on IRON MECHA.

Our IRON MECHA Champion is:

Mark Stafford

WOW, that rocks! That is a great entry! Congrats to Mark Stafford!

Congradulation Mark! You’re our IRON MECHA Champion.

-Snip-

   Thanks again and I only have one question remaining, do you want to do it again?

Yes! At the begining of the next month, challenge us again with a new sketch!

   Your Iron Mecha Host
Mark Neumann

Re: IRON MECHA Results!