 Announcements / 2692
  A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

Hello, After the unofficial presentation in a false scientific document [1], I'm proud to announce you my latest application with SNIR technique [2]. (URL) This window is a combinaison of SNIR and SNOT. When two 1x1 parts are placed in diagonal and (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.announce, FTX) !!

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Snippage (...) Very cool hack. I know what SNOT is but SNIR? Hmmmm. Studs Not Infra Red? Studs Not Inside Routers? Studs Not Immobilized Readily? ....... Mike (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

Very cool window! But how are the studs not in a row? The SNOT I see, but not the SNIR. Marc Nelson Jr. (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

Hey Erik, Great design idea! I actually saw this on Brickshelf and started to post an announcement over on Classic-Castle.com before I noticed you'd announced it here. If you'd like to check out the discussion on Classic-Castle, my post is here: (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

In lugnet.announce, Erik Amzallag wrote: Dear Erik, this is really very well and clever done! What a cool idea to combine SNIR and SNOT to a link between space (crowd shouting "SPAAACE!!!! from the background!) and castle (mumble of "Castle - (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Well, to be picky, it's not *exactly* the same thickness. A tile is 0.4 "stud-widths" thick, but the distance between 2 such windows is about 0.414 (square-root of 2 minus 1) stud-widths. Over a larger area you would start to notice the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Hey Mike, I believe it is Studs Not In Row. Cool window, but it doesn't look like it is very sturdy. Chris Perron (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Hello, great work! Sometimes I think everything is build in all kind of building techniques. But you show us that there are even more great ways to combine LEGO bricks. I love that kind of window, there is a good chance to find it in a new (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Hi Holger. Thanks for showing interest on JoTaALM. In a first attempt, the idea was to make an hoax just for fun, as the one I made when I was studying chemistry at university (not LEGO related). Of course volume I doesn't exist. I can't tell (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) I beleive the phase comes about because they started off not in a a row (well not in a standard row anyway), the second image shows them placed on a diagonal grid of SIR (Studs In a Row). However I would say that they have ended up in a (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

Dang! You beat me - I'm working on a similar kind of window... (...) I'm using transclear 1x1 and 1x2 for the glasses, with studs out to make them look like crown glass, and I use two plates stacked on each other to improve the overall stability of (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Thanks :) Well, it depends maybe of our vision of what is SNIR. The 1x1 parts are not adjacent but in diagonal. And the alignment of the turned parts creates an offset. So we obtain a lign of studs, not in the standard way but in diagonal. (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Thanks :) Hum, I'm sure there is still a lot of building techniques. I made a presentation at BricMania about one, ToPLeSs, and I have to finish the traduction in english to post it. (...) That was an idea from Didier. It was just a fake. But (...) (20 years ago, 17-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

Really cool window!!! How did you get it to be transluecent on the back but still hold together? -Stefan- (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Hi Stefan, Thanks. I used two 4x10 trans-yellow plates instead of the grey plates. Erik / brickerik (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) Hi, Last week-end in The FreeLUG LEGO train show in Orléans, Xavier show me a building tip he used to make the color scheme of the blue/gray TGV. James Mathis used a close building technique (but different) for the same locomotive. I've (...) (19 years ago, 13-Nov-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, FTX)

  Re: A window using SNOT and SNIR techniques

(...) This is a great, I was wondering whether loading a .pdf would be worth it (takes ages on my PC) but I wasn't disapointed. I had not really noticed James method before but the half-stud-offset-and-tile method is even better! Tim (19 years ago, 13-Nov-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.trains)