 Announcements / 1695
1694  |  1696
Subject:
MichLTC / MichLUG at GATS - Grand Rapids, MI - July 12th-14th, 2002 - Wrap-Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:40:35 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

MichLTC / MichLUG - Great American Train Show (GATS) - Deltaplex - Grand
Rapids, Michigan - July 12th-14th - Scott's Report

To All,

MichLTC had a great show at GATS in Grand Rapids. It was a lot of fun, with
a lot of work, but it was, in most people's opinion, the best show so far.

Overall Picture Directories:

Scott Sanburn's

Kai Brodersen's:

Jason Spears:

Spencer J. Rezkalla's:

David Kohrman's:

Friday Night - July 12th, 2002

Attendees:

Steve Bliss
Kristin (SP?) Bliss
Tony Hedglen
Rick Hallman
Jason Spears
Kai Brodersen
Chris Leach
Sandi Leach
Larry Pieniazek
Peter Guenther
Steve Ringe
Ken Koleda
Trevor Koleda
Scott Sanburn
Lynn Sanburn
Spencer J. Rezkalla
Alfred Speredelozzi
Steven Weiser
Stefan Garcia
Andrew ?
Stefan's Mom:

Friday Night - July 12th, 2002

(If I forgot someone, please LMK, I think I got everyone)

Anyway, I arrived about 2 hours late, since I had to wait for my wife Lynn
to get out of work, and we hit both traffic and construction on US 131, and
was delayed. I eventually arrived, and unloaded, and all the tables were
built already, which meant our fears and concerns were largely unfounded,
thanks for the great start, folks! Most of my modules and my train station
were in shambles, as I had a hard time transporting them.

We got most of the display up already, a lot of people helped me get mine up
and running. Thanks to all, I really appreciate it, and I will be sure to
make them better next time! : )

We wrapped up at about 9:00PM, and went to our usual Big Boy's, near the
highway, where we had a good time, even if the service was the usual slow self.

This is the first time I depended on others to help me set up my stuff,
since I was rebuilding a lot of it. A big thanks goes to our new member,
Andrew, thanks, I really appreciate you putting up with me!

Saturday, July 13th, 2002

Saturday started off early, at 7:00AM, I transported Al S. to the show,
since he was staying at the Fairfield Inn as well (Nice hotel, BTW, about 15
minutes from GR)

We arrived, and started getting other things ready, Tony helped with the
train station a lot as I rebuilt the engine shed, thanks goes to Larry for
the necessary red bricks (I can't believe I forgot those)
The show started, and we had a lot of excitement, a lot of questions, a lot
of accidents, especially when we transferred the shed to my layout, and a
few wrecks. Kai started filming a lot of different things, as we tried to
get the same feeling as the last show, where we got some excellent footage.
We also had a news crew come by and take footage. This session ended at
5:00PM, and Tony, Rick, and I left to transport Rick home to the progress
town of DeWitt, where he had a trip he had to go on. Tony and I drove back,
and saw this, a really funny thing, Peter's next food vehicle : )

http://www.geekshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=399

Tony and I stayed up that night watching the news, while I was putting GT
stickers on my train engines, and saw that we were the last segment on the
news, and they only showed our display. Go figure! : )

Sunday, July 14th, 2002:

Sunday went off without a hitch, Tony and I arrived around 10:00, and got
ready for antoher day. Excitement came from the various news crews that
filmed us yet again, and even an interview with Steve Ringe and Trevor
Koleda, which was cool. Chris and I also wired the monorail through the
train station, as we did not have time on Saturday to do so. We one 1st
place again, even if there were some mis-communications about it.

A tense moment came when we got some Burger King for the crew. The manager
was mad at us since we weren't supposed to have outside food in the
building, but it eventually calmed down.

We were the last ones out, mostly due to the fact we were in the back of the
complex, and had to wait. It was faster than Novi, I think!

Here is a detailed list of creations and pictures:

Scott's GTW Engines:

GP40:

GP40 in action!

Switcher:

My Train Station:

One side of train yard and visitor:

A little construction scene at the train station layout:

Engine Shed:

Canopy:

Other side of station, with the start of the monorail placement:

Monorail going through station:

Sante Fe in train yard:

Larry P. controlling trains, as you can see the employee parking near shed:

Inside Station Pics:

Another shot of the station:

Here is a shot of the parking lot and monorail stanchions, as we had to be a
little creative:

Here is a shot of the station with the info flyer nearby:

Spencer J. Rezkalla's awesome Microfig Buildings (A big hit, everyone loved
them!)

Overall:

Kai's interesting shot from the WTC:

Empire State Building:

King Kong!!

King Kai!! RUN!!!!!!

Other buildings:

WTC Complex:

Spencer himself:

Tony Hedglen's awesome transfer table and train layout:

Transfer Table:

Oops, looks like we had a mishap!

Hedgehog Building:

Tony's Engine Shed:

Main. Building:

Road on Tony's layout:

Overall Area:

Yard area:

Peter Guenther's St. Mary's Cathedral - Awesome:

(What the heck is Scott doing in this picture?!)

Johnny Thunder's finally decided to settle down:

Steve Ringe's Train Layout:

Warehouse Area: (Jedi battle nearby!)

Layout details:

Overall Pics:

I won't ask how this happened!

Neat train shots:

Kai Brodersen's Train Shed:

Erik's Custom Motorcycle shop:

Rick Hallman's Post Office:

Red Wings Celebration Parade:

Minifig throw between the train cars contest:

MichLUG members doing weird things:

Steve3 taking a break:

Chris showing the nametag, but came out rotten:

Tony being a dork about his nametag:

The three Amigos'?

Chris & Steve2 adverting another train wreck!

Larry & Chris fighting over layout space! ; )

David Kohrman in his Godzilla Impersonation with Chris being Mogra or something:

Tony Hedglen doing all the work while Rick mediates on the lessons Tony is
giving him:

Trevor Koleda being interviewed, while Steve2 looks on. Chris Leach in the
background giving tips on proper building techniques.

Other interesting Pictures:

The European Train Enthusiasts next store couldn't resist the K-8 right next
to them, and built a small billboard saying "ETE"

Peter's Shark Tank Car complete with Han Solo, desperately trying to get out!

David Kohrman's A-Team Van - Real neat! : )

MichLTC's new clubhouse!

Nothing like fishing after a hard day of work at the roundhouse!

Our downtown is so cool, it is already making history pages!

"We're knights of the round table..."

Pretty sad when a shock-trooper gets dead by arrow!

Kids creations from the K-8:

Trevor K. holding up a train car, his perhaps?

Stefan Garcia's creation named........

There are so many good shots of the downtown, that I can't begin to document
everything, so if people want to, do what I did above to link to your
creations, since I don't know who did what. LMK if you need help or tell me
what is yours, so I can document it.

All in all, we had a great display, with our new tables, multiple train
loops, Mindstorms controlled trolley, auto-switches, a realistic downtown
area, roundhouse, transfer table, auto-decouplers, etc. which makes it one
great show. Thanks goes to everyone for a great turnout.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and we are looking forward to
the next show!

Scott S.