 Animation / 780
779  |  781
Subject:
Restart of LDA2001 Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:48:30 GMT

I am still planning to restart the LDA2001 project.

See details in http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/lda2001/ .
I found the latest source cade on a hd with crasched system files but intact
file system. :D

As you already know, animation is very complicated. The LDA2001 project is
thought to make it as easy as possible. You want your minifig to walk, then just
select that option and let the software write the code needed. Inspiration comes
from visual software programming environments.

On my page (see link above), you can find a sample animation with its "source
files" made by LDA2001. It is in the archive called d01a.zip. A fully functional
but yet clustered with minor bugs version of the .exe is found in LDA2001.zip

There are two alternatives when making POV animations from LDraw models. Either
you use POV's own internal animation support and write functions that call the
clock varible. Using that method, you can make repetive movements that are
easily defined by mathematical statements. But if you want a minifig to walk
five steps, stop, turn around, and climb into a vehicle, the POV clock method
seems very, very complicated to use. At least to me. That's why I have picked
the other alternative; make an LDraw model for each frame and batch convert them
through L3P.

My first step of this restart is to remove the bugs and make it compatible with
the new and improved LDraw minifigs.

Step two is to use .ldr files for models instead of .dat files.

If you find find my project interesting, feel free to explore the resorces in
the link.

/Tore