 Ambassadors / 371
Re: LEGO Star Wars Anniversary Set - Help Decide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:30:43 GMT

   1. What model do you recommend that LEGO Star Wars launches in October 2009 as celebration of LEGO Star Wars 10th anniversary?

I’d certainly buy R2D2/C3PO sculptures, but something more “playable” might appeal to a wider audience. Theed palace/throne room or Amidala’s starship from Episode 1 would be good options.

2. Should it be a model in minifigure scale or a big display model?

Minifig scale.

   3. Which key characters / minifigs should be included if the model is minifigure scale?

Lego teased us with an Amidala minifig in the logo for the prequel series, but never delivered, so the queen in royal getup (maybe in more than one outfit?) is a must. (We’re not all boys, after all.) A couple of her attendants, the pilot (if it’s the ship), and her bodyguard would be nice additions. PLEASE skip Jar-Jar. If it were the Theed palace, a couple of Nemoidians would be good, and Lego hasn’t done those yet.

   4. What key functions should be included?

If it the throne room, the hidden pistol would be an obvious choice. Some way to have Amidala’s force “zip” up the ropes outside the window would be nice. If done well, the palace might incorporate some nice pieces that would appeal to castle fans. Think of an open back with a solid/realistic exterior (like the street-facing sides of Cafe Corner), rather than the open style of construction in the recent castle sets, Hoth, or Jabba’s Palace--these emphasize playability at the expense of decent-looking models, but I think there’s a happy medium to be found.

In the ship, the cargo bay ramp would definitely need to open/close, and there should be an accessible cockpit and throne room. Some version of the droid bay would be great, too, even if it’s just R2 tucked away in a little spring-loaded covered chamber so you can pop him out to fix the ship.