 Administrative / Suggestions / 1623
Re: New Lugnet Design and Top Stories List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jeffery MacEachern wrote:
hi people(s),

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I was prompted to by two things.
First, I want to say how much I like the new Lugnet Design, with all the
beautiful javascript functions ;).  Congrats to the web design people!

Second, I was thinking about the Top Stories list.  It's a great idea, but
it usually highlights only the MOC announcements.  Often I come on Lugnet
and look at a few messages, but I can't get all the groups e-mailed to me,
and Lugnet is so massive that I don't really know where to go - it's kind of
hard to "browse." What would be nice is a customizable top stories list, so
that I could see the latest in several newsgroups of my choice at a glance,
without spending the time to go through 6 different groups normally.

I think this is made difficult because the top stories list (and much of the
front page I think?) is cached, and re-generated regularly, to reduce server
load. To allow a customisable list on the front page would increase that load
substantially.

But it would be useful to maybe have another page somewhere other than the
front page (My Favourite Groups?) which allows this customisation, so I'm
following up to the suggestions group.

ROSCO

FUT .admin.suggestions

As members we can create our own using an FTX page. You just need to specify
what you want to be included.

I created http://www.lugnet.com/~549/test_newsspotlight

Which is simply:

<<NewsSpotlight(lugnet.general)>>