 Administrative / General / 9989
Re: Redirecting posts (was: Re: Are you looking for a 1592 Town Square - Castle Scene in MIB condition?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:56:40 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur wrote:
A 2nd suggestion: I think it is time you stopped being "LUGNET
policeman". Todd has made it clear the Dan is now the "head whacker"
around here. Suz has already said she and Todd are stressed right now,
why not just leave this well alone.

I appreciate what Larry is doing, and I do think it's a good thing that
community members teach new people where to post. Please, don't place
the burden of redirecting all these posts on me, since I will have no
time left for other things (like codeing).

Using Email might be a gentler way, but with the downside of not
teaching the people who didn't make the mistake yet (lurkers and such).
I'm not sure which is better.

Some of my thoughts:

- I'm glad to see some acknowledgement that the "policing" needs to be
done by more than just one or two (or three or four) admins.

- With multiple people posting reminders, an advantage of posting over
e-mail is less duplicated notifications

- I would prefer to see a formal list of folks encouraged to do this and
others asked not to. Why? I think it is important that these policing
notes be:

   - accurate (right now for example, chastising someone for
     posting a market post in a theme group is wrong, the
     TOS and charters currently allow such even though the
     stated direction of Lugnet is to restrict market posts
     to market groups [or at least keep them out of the theme
     groups])

   - diplomacy (we don't need firebrands writing these posts)

   - respect (someone who has been explicityly deputized will
     command more respect and not generate "stop being such a
     ninny" posts)

That said, what's the chance of this thread ending? :)

Slim to none?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com