 Administrative / General / 6436
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:21:26 GMT

Test for a minimum length, and force a mix of letters (upper and lower case)
and numbers/special characters, and it will be good enough.

SW:Ep1
M:Tron6989
70'sLEGO
2*4Brick
Pi3.14159
12:34Sunday

Oops, almost forgot to list the classic counterexample!

   E=mc^2

That uses a mix of...

   * At least one uppercase letter from A-Z
   * At least one lowercase letter from a-z
   * At least one numeric digit from 0-9
   * At least one "special" character

...and yet it's still a terrible password.

--Todd